Official NS50F thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

lowburb
Noob
Noob

Re: Does anyone else own a Honda NS 50?

Post by lowburb »

motormike wrote:Checking in with this news, hot off the press.
Local resident receives email notice from his perceptive son of a local Craigslist advert.
Title of advert reads : "70's MP5 scooter"
Advert body reads : "Parts or restore. Not running. $125 make offer."
My email to seller is soon responded to via phone.
A few questions later, it's obviously an '82 Honda MB5.
Needless to say, we came to an agreeable price,
and this day ranks above average... :urban:
A very good day!! Congrats!
lowburb
Noob
Noob

Post by lowburb »

Now to my bike... I have been slowly acquiring parts but I am not having any luck sourcing a hand brake lever. Does anyone have a decent spare they want to sell? The one on my bike has been shortened (probably broke the end off).
EeroW
Noob
Noob

Post by EeroW »

Hello everyone. I hope all the NS50 fans aren't absent and disconnected, as I have some questions!

^Lowburb, try sourcing the part number from bikebandit, and then see which other bikes it went on. Surely there are some that will work from other makes and models.

I acquired my ns50 from a friend who had it laying around in a shed he acquired with a house purchase. Free ain't bad right?

I have been getting the tank prepped before I tackle the engine. The tank was solid rust on the inside, and the dents have been fun to fix. I am almost ready to spray it. I have several other projects awaiting paint, so I am going to do all my painting before I begin to reassemble the various bikes/scoots.

I bought a "charmo" kit from a guy on the mopedarmy forum, and it is a cheap 70 kit for the NS50s, and it apparently is so cheap it performs worse than the stock cylinder!

Questions!

What needs to be done to this charmo kit to awaken it?

Who wants to explain the japan yahoo auction deal for me?

I'll post some of my project pics so I am not a complete lame noob to the forum.

Happy blastin!

Eero
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Not sure about Charmo's product for the NS, but their results on scooters are unpredictable. You have a treasure in that NS. Maybe save up for a proper Italian kit. Otherwise a grenading cheap top end could take out the precious and pricey bottom parts with it.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
motormike

Post by motormike »

EeroW wrote: Free ain't bad right?

It is bad,...when it's stolen... :wink:
Maybe you would post the VIN number so I can see if it is my bike... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
EeroW
Noob
Noob

Post by EeroW »

Wheelman and Motormike, you are both too true.

I'll copy the VIN down tomorrow or the next day, and pm it to ya. That would be pretty awesome if it was yours!

If it is not Motormike's bike, I would like to attempt to make the charmo kit work with a properly tuned expansion chamber. I would imagine some porting work may be required, as well as some piston modifications. I would like to compare the actual specs of this kit to others, if it were possible, and also the stock port timing and such.

It is this one z-50r talks about here: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=19829

Thanks for the responses, I'll get to ya Mike
Hennballs
Noob
Noob

Does anyone else own a Honda NS 50?

Post by Hennballs »

So I went to the local honda shop for the ns50r wheels and front brake set up, and left with the entire bike for $130!!! There are some rare parts on it especially the front nose fairing. I do not believe that they brought these to the US, so this is quite the find. I'm willing to sell some of the body parts except the nose fairing just because it's so hard to find. It came with the engine too, but it's in pieces in a box.
ImageImageImage
motormike

Post by motormike »

Hennballs : Looks like you have a NS50F bike, and some NSR50 fairings thrown in...I'm no expert... :confused: :confused:
RideRed
Hennballs
Noob
Noob

Post by Hennballs »

Motormike: I think it's a genuine nsr50. All of the stickers are in Japanese, it has the 3 spoke alloy wheels with front disk, it also has the different gauge cluster with the speedo in kph and a tachometer. I don't know but either way it's pretty cool
Hennballs
Noob
Noob

Post by Hennballs »

It's one of these. It says ns50f, but looks nothing like the us ns50f.
EeroW
Noob
Noob

Post by EeroW »

That's awesome!

What parts do you not want? I need a front fender and the rear trunk cover thingy..........
GKinTN
Goped
Goped

Post by GKinTN »

I do not know the seller, but here is a decent one on Ebay with only one day left to go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Other-199 ... otorcycles
motormike

Post by motormike »

^^ eBay auction has ended for the above NS50F... :naughty:
It did not sell, and the seller has quoted me a cash-n-carry price... :thumbwink:
Trouble is, I carried all my cash to Georgia last Friday... :roll:
RideRed
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Hey dudes!

I hope all is well with my Shifty-Fifty guys! I'm still here and well; I've just been so busy rehabbing songbirds and also stuck in Vintage Japanese RC Car World! Glad you are holding down the fort, Mr. Motormike!!

GREAT bike, Hennballs. What you have there is a Japan issue NS50R with some Japanese racing fiberglass fairings. Not sure of the fairing brand; there's a lot of mfg's out there that sell racing fiberglass. Amazing price, too.... I would have paid $130 for EACH wheel, haha! That's a steal!

Eero,

You mentioned the Charmo 70cc kit... Is your kit in stock (unported) form? Did you get a head with the kit? You are correct- the Charmo kits will be outperformed by a stock bore if not set up correctly. Most of the consensus is that the really thick head gasket that comes with the Charmo kit limits performance because compression is dropped. The port timing on the Charmo kit is the other limiting factor.

* if I remember correctly *
-a mild port job, cleanup, chamfering, using a modified stock NSR50 head gasket (nsr50 head gasket is single ply) and upjetting the stock carb (or using a larger "PE" type carb) can make for a very powerful kit.

The Kitaco 63cc kit is the same way. Everyone who has bought and installed it in stock form has been completely disappointed. :( Most say "the 50cc bore was faster!"
In the States, a guy named Billy Weise was who everyone sent out their Kitaco kits to. After Billy "adjusted" this Kitaco kit, it was good for 12-13 hp.

As you all know... I'm absolutely in love :love: with RS Lip's parts. The Lip's Stage 2 63cc kit on my NS is an incredibly powerful bore. When 8,000 rpm arrives on the tach, hang on.... :smile:

Talk to you guys soon! I've almost (finally) got my NS registered and insured to I can actually ride!

...I have been thinking about picking up a Honda Grom lately, but honestly I fear that I would not be able to leave it alone!! Haha!

Jon :^
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

...and motormike, CONGRATS on your new family member MB-5! Looks freaking great dude, and an incredible price! Definitely a good "Honda day"

Can't wait to hear more on your MB-5. Please keep us posted on your work with it. I need to hear more about NS50's and MB-5's to get this stupid Grom idea out of my head.

-j
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F