Harbor Freight Torque Wrench - Opinions?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

PolarIce
Spree
Spree

Harbor Freight Torque Wrench - Opinions?

Post by PolarIce »

Bought a HF torque wrench to tighten up the head on Urban project. After following the directions I'm still skeptical that I'm going to over-tighten it... Manual says 6-9 ft lbs and I'm dialing the wrench to 5 just as a baseline and it doesn't click.

Does anybody else have one?
1984 Honda NN50 Gyro
1986? Honda Aero 50
PolarIce=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Pola ... WAGB-11%29
Served Onboard 94-97
Wheelman-111

Re: Harbor Freight Torque Wrench - Opinions?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greeetings:

At very low tq settings, the wrench may click but so faintly as to be nearly inaudible.

My Craftsman 3/8 does exactly that. It's just possible that you apply pressure through the click and end up putting 15 or more pounds of torque on the bolt.

Snug 'em up with a nut driver to finger-tight, then set the wrench to 9-11 pounds and proceed slowly, listening/feeling very attentively for more of a faint Thunk than an audible click.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
campusman
Spree
Spree

Post by campusman »

My brother in law sells hydraulic torque wrenches, they work better
I can get anyone I know a discount

Bolting Solutions

Tools for Studs with Big Nuts
Last edited by campusman on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
God loves everyone
Therefore I know God
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

PolarIce wrote:Bought a HF torque wrench to tighten up the head on Urban project. After following the directions I'm still skeptical that I'm going to over-tighten it... Manual says 6-9 ft lbs and I'm dialing the wrench to 5 just as a baseline and it doesn't click.

Does anybody else have one?
Hey Polar, as for cheap TQ wrenches, i done recommend buying them. LOL save your pennies and buy a GOOD ONE! like a name brand, and if you intend on doing small torques, buy a small TQ wrench. Trust me! it may cost you some good money to buy a good one, but it'll save you in the long run if your gonna be torquing stuff a lot! i understand ya cant go and ddrop 3-500 on a TQ wrench, but If you did, you'd see why they cost what they do.

As for higher TQ settings, the cheap one may be alright! but most of the cheap ones never work that great for low settings. When i did my head bolts i used my snap-on digital one, which measures down to 1ft-lb.=12in-lb's. You could find a really small one cheap, and just convert it into inch lbs to be sure it'll work? just take Ft-lbs and Multiply by 12 to get In-Lbs. In your case, you'd be looking for something thats capable of Torquing 72-108 In-Lbs.

Just a thought, figured i'd put my .02 Cents in.
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

== 'mustangwags' says it well, he got in during my slow typing. I'd second that a lower range (1/4" drive wrench) is a good idea ==

Use what you've got. If you are tool shopping, there are wrenches made for the low end.

My 3/8 wrench performs about as Wheelman describes. I use a 1/4 drive wrench for the 6-9 ft/lbs range.

1/4" drive torque wrenches measure into the in/lbs and in/oz ranges. Conversion is as intuitive as it sounds - in/lbs is 12x ft/lbs. Wrench in the photo is set to 70 in/lbs - hair under 6ft/lbs.
1_4_in_torque_wrench.JPG
1_4_in_torque_wrench.JPG (28.17 KiB) Viewed 5845 times
-- smaller stuff --
I have a 1/4" 'nut driver' style wrench which measures 12in/lbs (1 ft/lb) full scale. It's way too small for scooters, - only good for approx 6-32 screws and below.
1_4_torque_nutdriver.JPG
1_4_torque_nutdriver.JPG (35.17 KiB) Viewed 5845 times
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

mousewheels wrote:== 'mustangwags' says it well, he got in during my slow typing. I'd second that a lower range (1/4" drive wrench) is a good idea ==

Use what you've got. If you are tool shopping, there are wrenches made for the low end.

My 3/8 wrench performs about as Wheelman describes. I use a 1/4 drive wrench for the 6-9 ft/lbs range.

1/4" drive torque wrenches measure into the in/lbs and in/oz ranges. Conversion is as intuitive as it sounds - in/lbs is 12x ft/lbs. Wrench in the photo is set to 70 in/lbs - hair under 6ft/lbs.
1_4_in_torque_wrench.JPG
-- smaller stuff --
I have a 1/4" 'nut driver' style wrench which measures 12in/lbs (1 ft/lb) full scale. It's way too small for scooters, - only good for approx 6-32 screws and below.
1_4_torque_nutdriver.JPG
Yo, not to hi-jack this thread, but ill bet that last tq wrench nut driver pictured is worth some money, ive only ever seen one of those, and juding buy the writing inside on the background, and the slight dis-coloration, i'd say that thing is OLD! lol ..or my monitor is dirty. hahaha

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
05 vinson
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Can ya send me a full pic of that bad boy mr mouse? lol i'd love to see it!!

05 vinson
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Sorry - a bit of the H/F topic, but shows there's a torque wrench for whatever the need.
1_4_torque_nutdriver2.JPG
1_4_torque_nutdriver2.JPG (28.31 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
1_4_torque_nutdriver3.JPG
1_4_torque_nutdriver3.JPG (26 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Wow, calibrated even.

I've been using Craftsman torque wrenches for years.

Main thing is, in the 6-9 ft-lb range, you should be using a 1/4" measured in inch-lbs. For 9 ft-lbs, that's 72 in-lbs.

You can build a calibrator with a 1' chunk of steel with a square hole in one end for wrench and hole in other for a wire. Tie weight to wire and ensure that the wrench clicks when you pick it up.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

noiseguy wrote:Wow, calibrated even.

Main thing is, in the 6-9 ft-lb range, you should be using a 1/4" measured in inch-lbs. For 9 ft-lbs, that's 72 in-lbs.

You can build a calibrator with a 1' chunk of steel with a square hole in one end for wrench and hole in other for a wire. Tie weight to wire and ensure that the wrench clicks when you pick it up.
Wait a minute..
For 9 ft-lbs, that's 72 in-lbs.
You mean 6ft-lb is = 72 In-Lbs, Correct? 9 would be 108.

Not trying to poke or prod, just wanted to make sure we're both on same page and that he doesnt torque to lightly.

05 vinson
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

mustangwagz wrote:
noiseguy wrote:Wow, calibrated even.

Wait a minute..
For 9 ft-lbs, that's 72 in-lbs.
You mean 6ft-lb is = 72 In-Lbs, Correct? 9 would be 108.

Not trying to poke or prod, just wanted to make sure we're both on same page and that he doesnt torque to lightly.

Just take the foot/lbs number and multiply by 12. 12 inches in a foot. 9 X 12 =108. I have 3 inch/lbs torque wrenches up to 700 inch/lbs. Then I have foot/lbs wrenches up to 150 ft/lbs.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree