Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by mousewheels »

any recent accomplishments with the gyro world
Minor stuff for me
Project near completion: LED turn signals lamp replacement, low cost auto parts store flasher.. Easy way to make things work is to disconnect the clicker and turn signal indicator. At that point it's just a flasher and bulb replacement. Going the next step to have the 'clicker' and indicator work plus staying within mouse budgets means some re-wiring and added components...

Mocked up a potential vacuum petcock mod for the NN50 and TG50. We'd need to put a tap in the intake to supply vacuum, but parts are easily available Hobby shop screw in taps for vacuum or oil
NN50_Tank_Spree_Petcock.JPG
NN50_Tank_Spree_Petcock.JPG (150.77 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

mousewheels wrote:
any recent accomplishments with the gyro world
Minor stuff for me
Project near completion: LED turn signals lamp replacement, low cost auto parts store flasher.. Easy way to make things work is to disconnect the clicker and turn signal indicator. At that point it's just a flasher and bulb replacement. Going the next step to have the 'clicker' and indicator work plus staying within mouse budgets means some re-wiring and added components...

Mocked up a potential vacuum petcock mod for the NN50 and TG50. We'd need to put a tap in the intake to supply vacuum, but parts are easily available Hobby shop screw in taps for vacuum or oil
The attachment NN50_Tank_Spree_Petcock.JPG is no longer available
I hope your going to post some pics of the LED turn signals ,I also used the electronic flasher because of the low LED voltage . Yes the petcock stuff can be a hassle .I ordered the china one but still haven't tested it yet but at least it's an option .
Attachments
16mm petcock ordered .jpg
16mm petcock ordered .jpg (110.52 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

once the riding season is over i plan to rebuild my engine and repaint everything. by the way mouse. have you gotten your decals yet?
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

once again i am having engine trouble. my gyro wont start. it just keeps turning over but nothing. we have cleaned the carburetor, checked the petcock, changed a split fuel line, checked the piston head and cylinder. we have done as far as i know everything. and when it does run it spews huge plumes of blue smoke. i think the oil pump is off but i dont know. PLEASE HELP
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Catch up -
66Six - Yeah - that petcock you and taz found looks good. I'll create a page for the petcock finds. Vacuum petcock mod I'm working on is just another alternative. The LED flasher you are using is very much like the one I found a year or two back - same brand too. I'll post some details soon. Right now my pickup is up on blocks getting all the attention:lol:

gyromaniac - yes - I got the stickers, and they were well packed. Mail usually folds up stuff, but you packed with cardboard, and stickers arrived in perfect condition.

Re: Oil Pump
Gyros suffer oil pump failures too. However, its never the seal going bad that causes blue smoke, the driveshaft is internal the the transmission. To check a Gyro's oil pump is the easiest of all Hondas - just pull the output line of the oil pump from the intake and put it in a container. Here's a pic of one of the worst pumps I've had. It would not start after 1 - 2 weeks - fouled the plug. Pic shows oil accumulation in 1 week. Give your pump this test and let us know how your's compares.

gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

let me get this straight. i put the outlet line in a container and let it just sit there? and i'm not sure you explained what cause my massive amounts of smoke
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

let me get this straight. i put the outlet line in a container and let it just sit there? and i'm not sure you explained what cause my massive amounts of smoke
Yes, that's all there is to it. A leaking oil pump will gradually fill the crankcase with oil. The worse the leak, or the longer it sits, the more oil in the case. Thus more smoke or plug fouling will occur upon the next start. I've had Gyro's which were locked up, and the p/o burned up the starter because of the oil problem. Give your's a week. You should not see any oil with a good pump.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Hey Mouse, is the only fix replacement of the pump?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

bradthree wrote:Hey Mouse, is the only fix replacement of the pump?
On a success of 'one' I had luck with replacing a check valve on the Gyro pump with one from a Spree.

It has been a success, in that testing from Jun 2010 through this year has shown the previous 'goner' pump is back to normal. A restart in May after no riding for 8 months gave a normal start. Prior to the check valve swap, this pump was the worst I'd ever seen in a Gyro. Leaked enough in a week or two the plug would foul. How many bad Gyro pumps has mouse seen? - four, part of buying 'fixers' I guess. Most Gyro owners I know never have problems with them. <shurg>.

Gyro Oil Pump Thread
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Thanks Mouse for your extensive research on the subject. You truly are an asset to the Gyro community :worship:
motormike

Post by motormike »

bradthreee wrote:Thanks Mouse for your extensive research on the subject. You truly are an asset to the Gyro community :worship:
+1....... :worship:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Thanks guys, there is no better group to share this stuff. I tried talking 'oil pump' at parties, and even once an angry group - they all left :shock:
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

well i dont know what to say but my gyros engine locked up. im not sure why. i adjusted the oil pump so that it wasnt putting in to much oil and while i was in my driveway. i took off and it just locked up. im not sure what to do now. help would greatly be appreciated. i am supposed to head up with my aunt and uncle to auburn, indiana next weekend.
motormike

Post by motormike »

......Big weekend that Kruse auction, parade, etc.....dont miss the ACD museum!!...
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

well i dont know what to say but my gyros engine locked up. im not sure why. i adjusted the oil pump so that it wasnt putting in to much oil and while i was in my driveway. i took off and it just locked up. im not sure what to do now. help would greatly be appreciated.
Maybe an engine problem/maybe a trans problem. I've had a trans failure which locked up the drive wheel.
  • With the parking lever de-activated, lift the right rear wheel, rotate in the free wheeling direction (forwards)? No - open the gear case and find out what broke.
  • Pull off enough plastic and covers to get your fingers in to rotate the engine via the flywheel.