Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

motormike

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by motormike »

Gyroman wrote:
motormike wrote:
Gyroman wrote:I also have a general question, which I searched for and didn't find, about how people are lifting their scooters to work on them.
I just rigged up a couple sturdy plastic shelves and use a piece of plywood to roll the Gyro up onto them.
The shelves stand 24 inches high. They are 36 inches long so I have to use two of them in line.
Each is rated to hold 200 pounds, so I should be good on that.
Prior to that I was using a platform jack on the rear and then lifting the front to place it on a milk crate.
vintagegarage wrote:Motormike,
I use the cheapest motorcycle lift that Harbor Freight sells. So far it has worked very well for me. There are two key things that aren't obvious in the first photo. First is the piece of 2x8 under the rear of the Gyro that has a v-notch cut into it to clear the swivel joint on the Gyro. The second is the piece of 2x4 that I use to keep the tiedown strap from bending the floor board. The tiedown strap goes around a bar in the lift, and by having the 2x4 exactly the right length, you can pull the strap very tight without damaging the Gyro. The strap should not touch the Gyro when the 2x4 is the correct length. The whole rig is easy to roll around while the Gryo is on it. Here is a photo of my Gyro on it:

After I finished restoring the Gyro, I painted the 2x4 red so I would remember not to cut it up for another project. When I got the Aero basket case, I found the 2x4 again to be the right length. This time, there is no board under the rear of the main frame of the Aero. I just put the back of the Areo frame directly on the rubber pad of one of the lift arms, just ahead of the kickstand. Just like the Gyro, the Aero is tail heavy, and for it, I put a couple of small pieces of 2x4 under the front of the Aero frame, and then tighten the strap over the red 2x4, again, so the strap doesn't tough the Aero. Here is a photo of how the Aero fits on it:

After I finished restoring the Aero, I found that the lift also works well on the Spree I just started working on. it calls for slightly different positioning of the blocks under the front of the Spree floor. Here is a photo of how the Spree fits on the lift:

At the rate I am going, I expect I will be in the double digits of 50 CC Honda scooters ownership by year end. I hold this forum completely responsible for giving me this horrible disease.. :roll:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Post by Gyroman »

Yeah, I like those Harbor Freight lifts, and seeing the pix helps with figuring out how to utilize them.
Now I gotta get someone with a car to go get one.
Oh, and make room in my garage.
Still can't figure out how to lift my Majesty. Its all plastic underneath.
I reserve the right to be completely wrong.
Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Post by Gyroman »

Argh! Discovered that one of my rear wheels is bent.
No riding until the one I ordered from ebay comes.
Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Post by Gyroman »

WARNING/CORRECTION:

Just in case anybody read my post about the snorkel inside of the airbox, I was completely wrong.

The snorkel fits by way of its slot into the hole on the back of the airbox. The intake of the carburetor then fits into that. And it points up. There isn't any room for it to point downward.

I'm sure glad that I figure that out because undoubtedly this was the cause of some of my problems.

That snorkel creates a seal and if there is no seal then I'm sure the engine is running lean.

I'm going to go back and edit my post so that someone doesn't accidentally rely on it.
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

Just picked up a red 84 honda gyro. Was in a basement for 15 years and is 98% complete. Should be up for sale soon whether i decide to get it running or as is. Ill keep everyone posted
1984 Honda Spree White
1987 Honda Spree Blue
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Does Ohio title scooters? If so, did you get the title with it?
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

The guy gave me what looks to be the original ohio title.
1984 Honda Spree White
1987 Honda Spree Blue
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

good score!
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

I stand corrected. Sat since 1986, which is 29 years. Runs like a champ now.
1984 Honda Spree White
1987 Honda Spree Blue
motormike

Post by motormike »

KillinSpree wrote:I stand corrected. Sat since 1986, which is 29 years. Runs like a champ now.

How about some pix ?
Let's see the new petcock, and how you access it. :wink:
What did it take to get it running ?
RideRed
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

Dan/gyroman bought it from me last night. Couldn't ask for a better guy to sell it to. :thumbwink:
1984 Honda Spree White
1987 Honda Spree Blue
manthone
Noob
Noob

Post by manthone »

So I just bought a Gyro Canopy engine (2 stroke) from Ebay UK.

NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO

Haha. I'm pretty pumped because I think it won't be that difficult to mount up to a regular scooter frame with some minor welding. I had a Gyro X a few years back that I stupidly sold so I'm hoping to recreate the magic.
Ptn
Noob
Noob

85 gyro w/600 miles fix or sell?

Post by Ptn »

I have a 85 gyro that i have been tinkering with. sat with gas for 20 years but i easily cleaned out the tank and the only part that i now need is a petcock. looking for an after-market or possibly fix/clean the one that i have. the gyro does run, i connected an alternate tank to it - can you say plastic bottle :)

so here is my dilemma, not sure i want to work on this anymore or sell it to someone who is more interested than i. i was really looking for a scooter as a daily driver and figured the 3-wheel was a cool alternative. when i bought it i didn't realize there was such a following for these scooters.

if anyone can help with the petcock repair or replace i would really appreciate it. the petcock is intact except for the tank filter which fell apart. figured i could buy a replacement petcock on ebay but cant find one with the correct thread. appears to be 16mm but i am not sure - any one know the thread size??

if anyone is interested in buying, here are the specifics. its a black 85 with 600 miles. tires need to be replaced but replacements seem to be available now, google 530/450x6 universal tires. the petcock needs to be fixed or replaced. it runs well. all electronics work. all plastics are in great shape, bike is totally complete.

i have 2 keys and PA title for the bike.

original intent was to get this scooter on the road, but i am running out of time with winter setting in - the petcock thing has really stalled me.

thanks!
Ptn
Noob
Noob

Post by Ptn »

Hate to beat a dead horse, but what are the best rear tires for an 85/86 gyro?

530/540x6 is what i am after as i dont want to remove or modify the plastic.

found cheng singh (sp?) which are knobby and carlisle sawtooth. the carlisle comes in 4 or 6 ply.

thougths?

leaning towards the carlisle 6 ply

Thanks!
motormike

Post by motormike »

I would choose the Carlisle between the two you offer,
but my personal opinion is that they are totally inadequate
compared to a tire size 13 X 5.00 X 6.
This size^^ can be found anywhere, is relatively inexpensive, will out-perform any 530x450x6 tire,
and will fit under the fender without modification. This is according to Six66... :wink:
Here's a LINK below... :urban:

http://www.lawnmowertirestore.com/13-x- ... gQodjBAL2Q
RideRed