SIP Order

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

NetCustoms
Noob
Noob

SIP Order

Post by NetCustoms »

Finally going to place the order for the rest of my parts for my 94 Elite.

Getting the Polini Corsa, a Variator, Torque Driver (probably Polini since i think the Malossi TD needs to be lathed to clear the sping collar), and maybe a Clutch. Also Tach/Temp gauge that looks pretty cool - http://www.sip-scootershop.com/Products ... e+II+.aspx

Does anyone have part numbers for the Variators, there seems to be a few different ones and their descriptions are kinda vague. I have ZX rear pulley half already.

Also, any input on Variators from Polini or Malossi. Thinking I may just go all Polini for this one but still up in the air.

Thanks
Mike
Wheelman-111

Re: SIP Order

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If you have the ZX-sized rear pulley, IMO a "For Ruckus" sized vario is the way to go. Polini's is about 94mm, don't know if Malossi makes a Ruckus-sized unit. If you use the 354 belt with a stock-ish SR front pulley, you don't get full "overdrive" and it decreases your top speed unless you gear way high.

The SR/Aero Malossi variator I had didn't seem to work as well as the equivalent Polini unit, but don't take just my word on that. The Malossi I had didn't have the plate bosses that extended proud of the casting for some reason, so its travel was more limited.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
NetCustoms
Noob
Noob

Post by NetCustoms »

I read that you had a Rukus Variator. I dont mind grinding the case a little bit to make it work so I will go that route. Although all of my Kymcos have used Malossi Trans parts, I think this time I will go all Polini, including the Torque Drive. Do you use the Polini Clutch as well?

Also, I have a 2.15 rim in the back, do you think I should go with 90/90 or 3.50 tires? I am thinking 90/90 becuase I think the differences are only minor from what i have read.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I have a Polini 2-shoe adjustable clutch. ALL the clutches are too small, even the best aftermarket ones. But I really like the Polini because you can fine-tune engagement speed without dismantling.

For the record, I've never owned a stock Ruck vario, but have had a Polini-for-Ruck (94mm) and my
current ebay-scored off-brand 97mm faced variator. To this day I've never seen another, but I like it.

I recommend the 90/90 for the rear. 3.50 Michelin S-1 rubs the exhaust lug unless you shave 3/16ths there. Other brands may be better or worse.
The 3.50 is that much taller. 90/90 is actually a hair wider than the 3.50 but only 3.18 "tall". The 3.50 makes for a smoother ride up front, though, and over-corrects the speedo optimism a little.
30MPH indicated = 31 GPS, or about 3 % pessimistic. I can live with that.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH