Surviving on the road--how do you do it?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

jrmints
Goped
Goped

Surviving on the road--how do you do it?

Post by jrmints »

Hey all.

As everyone knows, visibility in traffic is the greatest enemy of anything on two wheels. With most Sprees only getting 45mph at full throttle, and being the dainty things they are, they rarely get seen in a sea of minivans and SUVs.

I ask (foremost in curiosity) because I'm gearing up to have a working Spree soon enough, and my city's really good about killing people with Ford Expeditions. I'm thinking some sort of lights, high visibility, something like that.

So what kind of safety/visibility/HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME do you guys use to keep yourselves alive in good ol' American traffic?
Red_Red_Groovy
Noob
Noob

Re: Surviving on the road--how do you do it?

Post by Red_Red_Groovy »

I was (seriously) considering getting one of those BMX bike flag things. I also am not planning on going over like 25-30 mph, and I can't really imagine mixing in with traffic any faster than that :nervous:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I always ride like everyone else on the road is out to get me. Paranoia is a good thing when riding scooters and motorcycles. The only thing to ever get me on the street is a deer. Never saw the deer until it was 10 feet in front of me. It exploded out of the brush in the ditch along the road, inside the city limits of Olympia, Washington.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

jrmints wrote:
With most Sprees only getting 45mph at full throttle,
jrmints wrote:
I ask (foremost in curiosity) because I'm gearing up to have a working Spree soon
I am guessing that you have never rode your Spree before, or anyones Spree before?
jrmints
Goped
Goped

Post by jrmints »

ALOW1 wrote:
jrmints wrote:
With most Sprees only getting 45mph at full throttle,
jrmints wrote:
I ask (foremost in curiosity) because I'm gearing up to have a working Spree soon
I am guessing that you have never rode your Spree before, or anyones Spree before?
I guess I'm an optimist. If they don't get even that, how do you guys manage in traffic?
killerpancake
Spree
Spree

Post by killerpancake »

i always left people the room to pass me if they felt the need by staying far to the right, but i really never had a problem dealing with traffic.
If it don't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

(Previous)
87 honda spree
85 honda spree

(Current)
88 yammy razz

(parts bike)
another 88 yammy razz
motormike

Post by motormike »

Your concern is valid.......with 10,000 scooter miles in the last 2 years, I feel qualified to suggest a few things:
A. Do NOT hold to the right and give traffic room to pass in YOUR lane!!!........IT IS YOUR LANE.......as soon as you give others room to squeeze beside you, they will do so and care NOT how much of your lane they take, which usually ends up to be all of it. I'm all for courtesy, but experience says BE FIRM.
B. Always expect every vehicle to totally ignore you.
C. Never take your eye off of the front wheel of any vehicle waiting to pull out in front of you......when that wheel starts to rotate, REACT.
D. Leave yourself an OUT....a plan of direction you intend to take when that vehicle does the bully move on you. This requires constant revision in your head.
E. NEVER take direction from another operator to turn in front of them......they dont see the Miata coming around them trying to make the light and totally oblivious to you on a scooter blind to oncoming traffic. Multiple lanes means multiple hazards.
F. Lights, lights, lights........cant have too many.
G. Make yourself visible with bright colored jacket, reflective tape, neon jock-strap, anything that saves your life is worth chancing some ridicule.
H. When approaching vehicles waiting to enter from the side street, subtle movement left and right to make yourself stand out and increase your chance of being seen.
I. Be aware of vehicles following too closely and give them indication to go around or suffer the consequence of what might happen when you toss that 10 inch monkey wrench through their windshield. (Dont do that)
J. You can never let down your guard.......constantly expecting the worst to happen will prepare you to react when it does. It is a DEFENSIVE style of riding that will best equip you to survive.
Okay, there are a few hints to help you along the jungles of the city. Have fun, be smart, Speed kills........ :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Wow! You covered it all. And yes they are all out to get you.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

That's a great list. We should Wiki that.

I have issue with expecting drivers are all "out to get you." Will make you extremely paranoid in a bad way. Better to consider yourself invisible, b/c you are; this will put you in a better frame of mind. More zen-like calm, less likely to smash a windshield with a wrench.

Same actually goes for bicycling; I found much the same experience on MC as for pedal bikes... cars just don't see you. Pedal bikes are actaully worse; harder to judge speed, no lights, and no sound.

Another thing is all the gear all the time. Alway wear a helmet (even short trips) and I think scooter riders in general would benefit from wearing more protective gear (actaully, most MC riders I see could.) No shorts and flip-flops. No half-helmets; helmet should protect your chin b/c it's the most likely place you'll land:

Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

motormike wrote:Your concern is valid.......with 10,000 scooter miles in the last 2 years, I feel qualified to suggest a few things:
A. Do NOT hold to the right and give traffic room to pass in YOUR lane!!!........IT IS YOUR LANE.......as soon as you give others room to squeeze beside you, they will do so and care NOT how much of your lane they take, which usually ends up to be all of it. I'm all for courtesy, but experience says BE FIRM.
B. Always expect every vehicle to totally ignore you.
C. Never take your eye off of the front wheel of any vehicle waiting to pull out in front of you......when that wheel starts to rotate, REACT.
D. Leave yourself an OUT....a plan of direction you intend to take when that vehicle does the bully move on you. This requires constant revision in your head.
E. NEVER take direction from another operator to turn in front of them......they dont see the Miata coming around them trying to make the light and totally oblivious to you on a scooter blind to oncoming traffic. Multiple lanes means multiple hazards.
F. Lights, lights, lights........cant have too many.
G. Make yourself visible with bright colored jacket, reflective tape, neon jock-strap, anything that saves your life is worth chancing some ridicule.
H. When approaching vehicles waiting to enter from the side street, subtle movement left and right to make yourself stand out and increase your chance of being seen.
I. Be aware of vehicles following too closely and give them indication to go around or suffer the consequence of what might happen when you toss that 10 inch monkey wrench through their windshield. (Dont do that)
J. You can never let down your guard.......constantly expecting the worst to happen will prepare you to react when it does. It is a DEFENSIVE style of riding that will best equip you to survive.
Okay, there are a few hints to help you along the jungles of the city. Have fun, be smart, Speed kills........ :urban:
This is a good list. Reason A is a great point- I hog up the road because people will try to pass you in the same lane if you hold right. I've had people pass me with literaly less than a foot between me and them. I once kicked a pickup truck that was passing me WITHOUT CHANGING LANES. His mirror was inches away from me, so I kicked him in the door, Whilst flipping the bird(though I don't recomend such behavior). I was speeding at the time(42 in a 35), and approaching a stop sign. There was no reason for him to want to pass me. At all. This year I'ma carry a brick to put through windows(Again, prolly a bad idea)...People in general are complete morons.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I agree with the tip of keeping your lane as your lane. here in Nova Scotia my spree is registered as a motorcycle which entitles me to a full lane and a full parking spot so I do so unless I am holding up more than few cars for a longer stretch of road that has a speed limit faster than my spree can go. Then I pull off and let the line of cars go and continue on my merry way. Two weeks ago i pulled up to an intersection and was in the middle of the lane and a car came up and made a right hand turn in my lane! I almost got the mirror up my *. most of the time I get lots of respect when im out on my spree though.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

You know it's funny - I find it easier to ride during rush hour in the traffic than mid day when folks are in a hurry and driving too fast. The scooter seems equipped perfectly for the stop and go and other drivers are a little more cautious during heavy traffic.

My sentiment echos what has been said previously. If you ride like you don't deserve to be on the rode in your lane then people will treat you like you don't belong on the road.

One must always ride defensively.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I agree with all the foregoing. Rider's Edge and MSF classes teach all this stuff, formally.

One additional thing: Big mirrors, well adjusted, and check them often. Know who's around you and see how they're driving. Sometimes danger comes from behind.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

noiseguy wrote:
The similarities are disturbing...Image
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
jrmints
Goped
Goped

Post by jrmints »

Trafficjamz wrote:
noiseguy wrote:
The similarities are disturbing...Image
Aw, come on, the relevant parts aren't even labeled!

Thanks to everyone giving their input!