Honda Elite 1989 SA50 (canadian version)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

NSDreamer
Noob
Noob

Honda Elite 1989 SA50 (canadian version)

Post by NSDreamer »

Good Evening,

I have a Honda Elite 1989 SA50, model # AF122K.

I was recently dying it, and I noticed as I increased throttle, the engine started to die off and thrust decreased. If I eased up on the throttle it maintained speed and stopped slowing, it made it about 200 metres (luckily to the end of the bridge I was on ) before dying off completely and would not start again. I have had 0 problems with it prior to this. A friend of mine suggested I might need to change the spark plug, as it is commonly ignored on most scooters, so eager beaver that I was I went to my spare parts and sure enough I had a spark plug for my baby. Unfortunately, however, I have no idea how to perform this operation.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

-NSDreamer
NSDreamer
Noob
Noob

Re: Honda Elite 1989 SA50 (canadian version)

Post by NSDreamer »

I have gotten the current spark plug exposed, but for the life of me I cannot seem to rotate it out of position. I have tried everything from needle nose pliars to grip cloth. I am assuming because this is the electrical spark plug, I do not want to use wd40?
NSDreamer
Noob
Noob

Post by NSDreamer »

Right so over the course of 2 hours I finally figured it out. Apparently just apparently, there is a "spark plug" socket wrench (I borrowed one from my neighbour).

For those in the future who are searching the forums to find out how to change the plug. You go in underneath the seat behind the back tire. There is a rubber tube connecting from the battery to the engine, remove this and underneath is the spark plug, a few quick twists with the proper tools equates removed, reverse direction for new plug and VOILA.

She runs perfectly once more!

Sometimes, when no one offers help (besides neighbours) you gotta figure it out on your own!
Peace everyone!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sometimes it takes longer than 46 minutes to receive a reply. Glad you got it going well agaiin.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
NSDreamer
Noob
Noob

Post by NSDreamer »

Haha, no worries. I wasn't being impatient, I just figured go at it. No point waiting around right? Besides when you figure something out like that on your own it gives you one heck of a good feeling!
motormike

Post by motormike »

No replacement for hands-on experience.......probably this time you are good with plug gap.....always requires checking and adjust to proper gap with guage increments in thousandths. Welcome to site and keep scootin'......... :urban:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

NSDreamer wrote:Right so over the course of 2 hours I finally figured it out. Apparently just apparently, there is a "spark plug" socket wrench (I borrowed one from my neighbour).

For those in the future who are searching the forums to find out how to change the plug. You go in underneath the seat behind the back tire. There is a rubber tube connecting from the battery to the engine, remove this and underneath is the spark plug, a few quick twists with the proper tools equates removed, reverse direction for new plug and VOILA.

She runs perfectly once more!

Sometimes, when no one offers help (besides neighbours) you gotta figure it out on your own!
Peace everyone!
Additional info for those searching in the future: always start threading the plug by hand instead of starting it with the plug wrench. This way you can feel if you are cross threading the plug into the head. Check the spark plug box for proper torque specs.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
NSDreamer
Noob
Noob

Post by NSDreamer »

motormike wrote:No replacement for hands-on experience.......probably this time you are good with plug gap.....always requires checking and adjust to proper gap with guage increments in thousandths. Welcome to site and keep scootin'......... :urban:

What is the plug gap? I used the spark plug straight out of the box and it works fine. I know next to nothing about maintaining my bike, but I"m trying to learn!
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

NSDreamer wrote:
motormike wrote:No replacement for hands-on experience.......probably this time you are good with plug gap.....always requires checking and adjust to proper gap with guage increments in thousandths. Welcome to site and keep scootin'......... :urban:

What is the plug gap? I used the spark plug straight out of the box and it works fine. I know next to nothing about maintaining my bike, but I"m trying to learn!
The spark plug gap is the distance between the center electrode and the ground electrode. Shown in this picture: http://www.installuniversity.com/instal ... stance.jpg
NSDreamer
Noob
Noob

Post by NSDreamer »

What does it do? What does the difference in distance make? The one I took out had a significantly smaller gap
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

NSDreamer wrote:What does it do? What does the difference in distance make? The one I took out had a significantly smaller gap
The larger the gap the better, as long as there is still a strong arc. Always use the Honda gap specs. A smaller gap means a shorter distance for the spark, making a smaller arc that does not burn as well as a larger spark (less power output from your engine). If you make the gap too big, the electrical system can't reliably produce a good spark. Honda has done the research and it should be followed until you are a professional tuner.
one_wierd_guy
Noob
Noob

Post by one_wierd_guy »

eliteguy50 wrote: The larger the gap the better, as long as there is still a strong arc. Always use the Honda gap specs. A smaller gap means a shorter distance for the spark, making a smaller arc that does not burn as well as a larger spark (less power output from your engine). If you make the gap too big, the electrical system can't reliably produce a good spark. Honda has done the research and it should be followed until you are a professional tuner.
Not always true, as you increace the gap, yes you increace the amount of spark, but you also increace the amount of time needed to make that spark, thus messing with your spark timeing, its always best to go with the gap that the maker of the engine specifys for said engine, because that is the gap that the coil is made to perform optimally with. To find the right gap, take a look through the owners manual(always a good thing to read through anyways) that can be found here on the forum under the "honda servise and manuals" section.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

one_wierd_guy wrote:
eliteguy50 wrote: The larger the gap the better, as long as there is still a strong arc. Always use the Honda gap specs. A smaller gap means a shorter distance for the spark, making a smaller arc that does not burn as well as a larger spark (less power output from your engine). If you make the gap too big, the electrical system can't reliably produce a good spark. Honda has done the research and it should be followed until you are a professional tuner.
Not always true, as you increace the gap, yes you increace the amount of spark, but you also increace the amount of time needed to make that spark, thus messing with your spark timeing, its always best to go with the gap that the maker of the engine specifys for said engine, because that is the gap that the coil is made to perform optimally with. To find the right gap, take a look through the owners manual(always a good thing to read through anyways) that can be found here on the forum under the "honda servise and manuals" section.
Yeah, if you open the gap up from .025 to .035 you will change the timing about 1 Giga second = you and the engine will never notice the difference. You need to get real.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

one_wierd_guy wrote:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Bear, let me take this one:

Hah! So then you know nothing about tuning obscure vintage Skiroule * 303 cc rotary engines, you insignificant and insolent upstart!

There, I'm bettuh. :)

Read the red high-lights. Tha's good advice rat thar. personally I've never found much difference between plug gap sizes. Get a thick, fungus-infested thumbnail in there and call it good.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH