new gas tank

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

what look should i go for?

bobber
33%
chopper
No votes
cafe racer
11%
terrible idea go back to stock
56%

Total votes: 9

speedy_aero
Noob
Noob

new gas tank

Post by speedy_aero »

so the other day i was looking at my 86 aero 50 trying to figure out how i could make it look any more awsome.
And then boom i got it im going to put on a motorcycle tank.
Ill weld a false backbone in between the neck of the frame and the frame below the seat. As you can see since i have no plastic it is very exposed and not too imposible.
I would tweak some other things(seat, gauges, ingiton, electronics, handle bars, ditch floor board for a set of pegs, foot brake, clean up any wires lines and cables possible)
Not sure what look im going for so vote and help me chose! (vote!)(bobber/chopper/cafe racer)
any opinions? anyone seen a custom tank/seat combination that worked? or looked cool?
Attachments
this is what it currently looks like except the painted duct tape seat has gotten way more beat up since and looks terrible now(even more terrible now)
this is what it currently looks like except the painted duct tape seat has gotten way more beat up since and looks terrible now(even more terrible now)
Image0010.jpg (63.99 KiB) Viewed 4081 times
Last edited by speedy_aero on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"it isn't custom if its bolt on"

86 Honda aero 50
80 Honda cb 400f
72 Yamaha rt 360 enduro
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: new gas tank

Post by mousewheels »

Mock up some tanks of your choice with a photo editor and post 'em.

While not an Aero, Trafficjamz has a build you might look at click me!
I like bare bones scooters folks have built too bare bones example. Check out the builds forum. Your's could turn out good that way too IMHO. Have fun, and keep posting.
speedy_aero
Noob
Noob

Post by speedy_aero »

sweet sweet both those are sick bulids. i think traffic jam's more like what i in visioned.
I think its going to look like a bobber if i do not do huge modification to the fork, the stance is way to triangular to make a cafe race and no chopper has a stock front end.
so here is my first mock up
the concerns it raises is how is the rider position going to be because i moved back a few inches and down a few more?
whats the best way to conceal rectifier, and the other electronics that go along with it
how about a longer or stiffer shock any options for bolt on or am i improvising no matter what i do?
Id also paint all i could black namely the frame,
what do ya think
Attachments
small.png
small.png (96.17 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
Last edited by speedy_aero on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

86 Honda aero 50
80 Honda cb 400f
72 Yamaha rt 360 enduro
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Your photoshop skills are lacking :wink:

I vote bobber style

Check ebay for tanks. 2.5gal will be about the biggest size you could fit.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
speedy_aero
Noob
Noob

Post by speedy_aero »

photo shop? whats that? i'm still using ms paint

how was the riding position on your build? i think the current position is on the tight side and i can not imagine a lower seat would help but using highway pegs might compensate.

86 Honda aero 50
80 Honda cb 400f
72 Yamaha rt 360 enduro
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

speedy_aero wrote:photo shop? whats that? i'm still using ms paint

how was the riding position on your build? i think the current position is on the tight side and i can not imagine a lower seat would help but using highway pegs might compensate.
Well then ......your mspaint skill are awesome :eyeroll:

The riding position is very comfy. The original idea , of chopped down handlebars , was not as comfy.

It is very close to a 94-01 eliteS
Attachments
ride.JPG
ride.JPG (76.37 KiB) Viewed 4080 times
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Go with a single rider springer seat too. Got to get rid of the extra passenger for sure. :wink:
speedy_aero
Noob
Noob

Post by speedy_aero »

hahaha WHAT? you have no idea when we ride around dumb and dumber style (yes those are orange and blue tuxedo tee shirts) every girl on campus looks and checks us out! :2thumbs:

Sweet i relived to hear the ride is good. i was thinking springer too but im thinking springer works best with a drop seat, and im not sure if this frame would allow. The section of frame i will mount a seat on is flat and on a springer the hinge has to be mounted higher than the base of the springs. so for the look of a seat id like id have to make a custom that bit of frame to follow the back bone. that leaves me the question how to relocate the shock mount.... or should i just hard tail it.

the other option would be to do a seat like this
k.jpg
k.jpg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
which im not a huge fan of. To look right id have to have the back of the tank 2-3 inches above the backbone which may not be too difficult but a nusance.

86 Honda aero 50
80 Honda cb 400f
72 Yamaha rt 360 enduro