OK to keep idle screw "high" in cold AM?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

japennell
Goped
Goped

OK to keep idle screw "high" in cold AM?

Post by japennell »

Lately its been low to mid 30's when I need to start scoot. Turns over and then slowly sputters while trying to warm it. I turn idle screw 'higher' to keep it running so it will warm up. Only seems to be an issue on cold mornings.

Then in the afternoon, I 'lower' the idle screw as the air outside has been 50's+ and it doesnt need as much to keep idling until its warmed up enough to ride.

Is there any harm to keeping idle screw higher until warmer weather is more consistent? I'd rather not have to keep adjusting...
bc117
Spree
Spree

Re: OK to keep idle screw "high" in cold AM?

Post by bc117 »

its fine to have a high idle unless its engaging the clutch then thats a safety issue, but this could be a hint that your by-starter needs to be cleaned or replaced its job is to keep you from having to do that
1985 aero 50
ported
custom exhaust
ruckus vario
1K polini clutch springs
hopefully nh80 powered soon!
SPREEtown
Spree
Spree

Post by SPREEtown »

i am having the same problem on cold starts. she starts up fine but bogs out w/ any throttle or just dies from so few rpms until warm. i am going to swap the bystarter and see if this fixes the issue.
1986 Spree SE:
  • pulley mod
    '85 head
    SB50 intake, reeds, carb
    UNI filter
    44mm bbk
    3x10 conti zipps
    next:
    taz gears, sa50 clutch w/ 2k springs
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

SPREEtown wrote:i am having the same problem on cold starts. she starts up fine but bogs out w/ any throttle or just dies from so few rpms until warm. i am going to swap the bystarter and see if this fixes the issue.
This is normal with some Spree engines. A possible cure is to richen up the idle mixture by a 1/4 turn. This is not a bystarter issue, it is working fine.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree