Hopefully buying my first spree tomorrow

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

jbarb
Spree
Spree

Hopefully buying my first spree tomorrow

Post by jbarb »

Wish me luck, Im going to look at an 85 spree tomorrow. I have been talking about getting a scooter for like a year now and I think Im finally going to do it.

The spree has like 15000 miles on it and has been rebuilt 3 times. He says it runs good but needs a battery since the one in it wont hold a charge. Is 400 reasonable for an old spree thats been around the block a few times?

What should I be looking out for when I go and look at this thing? I know a bit about pocket bikes but this is my first scooter.

I will post pics when/if I get it home. I pretty much have my heart set on it though. I dont mind putting a little work in to it if need be.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

if u need to put work in it 400 is pushing it MAJORLY. i payed 25 for one and free for the other. my compleate running aero was only 200$ and its 2x as good as a spree.
jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

He says it starts right up but the battery wont hold a charge, so I beleive mechanically it is in good shape. These things are expensive over here. Someone in town wants 595 for a Yamaha Razz.

What do you think is a fair offer for a running Spree?
fizzle
BMX
BMX

Post by fizzle »

400 bucks, yikes!
weren't sprees like 289 new?
and 15k miles - thats alot for a motorcycle, never mind a 2stroke scooter.
the guy probably thinks your some sort of sucker.
i got my spree for free - it took me almost 100 bucks to get running, - but that was my fault for not just waithing for things to come on ebay.
wow,
you think i can get 400 bucks for my spree?
its only got 2400 miles.
good luck - i hope its at least pretty.
-aL-
Elite
Elite

Post by -aL- »

wow... thats rediculus... my first spree was also free.. i put about 80$ into it and it had 6k on it... id be hesitant to pay 200 for it... its only a spree... you could get one on ebay for cheaper
Ridin' Dirty on one of my 1989 Honda Elite E's
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

With that kind of milage it would need to run/look excellent. That means clean body panels (no cracks/major fading) with factory decals, good tires, runs great (up to 30 MPH or close,) and have a working battery. For $400, I'd want that battery replaced. They're only $30 new.

I've seen Spree with less miles (out here) sell for around that much with OK panels. Anyone that can't get $200 out of any running Spree needs to put that thing up on Ebay, I've yet to see a runner sell for less than $300. I've seen a few sell in the $500-700 range 8O

That said, I've picked both mine up cheap, as abandoned non-runners that need work. Broken Spree are pretty worthless; a single trip to the mechanic is usually more than they're worth. Buying a runner is basically paying the seller to get it running for you b/c you can't fix one yourself. Which is why this site exists.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
tjupille
BMX
BMX

Post by tjupille »

Like real estate, it's "location, location, location". I think the prices are higher on the West Coast because of the longer riding season. In the SF Bay area, the asking price on craigslist for a low-mileage (say, under 4,000 miles), reasonably clean, running Aero 50 is about $500 (they sell in 2-3 days). Sprees run a bit less.
jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

I think Ill offer him 300 for it assuming the charging system checks out.

Do the batteries like to crap out alot if deep cycled?

I assume the scooter's charging system should be putting out close to 14.4 above idle correct?

How much is an alternator just incase? I priced the regulator on ebay at about $42 after shipping. Just looking for things to deduct from the asking price.
wannabie
Noob
Noob

Post by wannabie »

You need to make sure it not leaking around the back wheel. With that kind of mileage the seals might be bad. So ride it and park it for a while then look to see if it has any drops under it. Don't let him put it on the grass.
jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

Thanks for the heads up. Crank seals? Do these have problems with those like some old dirtbikes?

I think the prices are pretty inflated up in my corner of the U.S. The only Spree's Ive seen under 4-500 are without title or rotting in a field. We also have pretty crappy gas prices. I think its about 2.40 right now for regular.

He said that the guy before him had it rebuilt a few times with all new seals and rings and whatnot.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

tjupille wrote:Like real estate, it's "location, location, location". I think the prices are higher on the West Coast because of the longer riding season. In the SF Bay area, the asking price on craigslist for a low-mileage (say, under 4,000 miles), reasonably clean, running Aero 50 is about $500 (they sell in 2-3 days). Sprees run a bit less.
Totally. There are TONS of low milage bikes out here due to short riding season. Ppl buy them new anyway, ride a few years, and park them. Prices here pretty much follow Midwest values; at least 50% of active membership is from around here.

Aero's are worth more. In your situtation, I'd rather pay $500 for an Aero 50 than $400 for a Spree ($300 is in the ballpark.) Aero 50's have a variator, and can actually do 40. Spree can't, stock anyway.

As for charging, just try disconnecting the battery after it starts. If the alternator's dead, it should quit running. These can be gotten, but you need special tools to R&R it, as I recall. Fairly rare for these to go out, though.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

Alright. I got the bike home and already went through like a half tank of gas.
This thing is a freekin blast. I got it for 350. Im pretty sure the battery and charging system are fine, it just needs the idle mix adjusted cause its kind of hard to start up. It starts easier on the charger because there is more juice to crank it over faster.

Never had so much fun at 25 mph. I'll get some pics when I get around to it.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

$350 is a good price for a runner. Have fun with it and post pics when you get the chance.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

Oh and it has 4000 miles not 15000.
jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

Which one is the idle mixture screw? Would a bad bystarter cause it to run rich all the time? Or just not be choked when starting? I know this should probably be in the technical section but I didnt want to make another post.