1985 honda spree wont start! please help

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: 1985 honda spree wont start! please help

Post by zuphilius »

andythespreeowner wrote:no at first i was going to but now that i think about it i could fix it even if it takes me a month
because i really like honda sprees and other honda scooters so its worth it and i think im gunna completely restore it and make it nice :geekdance:
I've been in your shoes before, most of us have. We get to a point where nothing seems to work and you feel like throwing your scooter off of a cliff.

Keep the faith!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
andythespreeowner
BMX
BMX

Post by andythespreeowner »

haha thanks :smile:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

A lot of the Sprees will not start without the stock airbox and filter in place. My Spree will start and idle without the airbox or even without the filter element, but any throttle and it dies.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Noob
Noob

Post by 389 »

I have a 85 Honda Spree that will not even pop while trying to start.
I have spark but the plug is wet. I have new fuel. Compression is 90. Air filter is good and air box installed. Exhaust port is dirty but not clogged. Muffler removed and is clear. Auto bystart checked and seems OK according to service manual directions.
You can spray starter fluid into spark plug hole or carb intake while turning over with electric start and not even a pop.
I disassembled carb, cleaned, found none of the jets clogged including the main jet. The plastic float setting of 12 mm is reading 8.5 mm but I don't see anyway to change it other than buying a new float. The picture in the service manual is not clear on how this measurement is made without the special tool, so my reading may not be accurate.
I think for some reason (such as the float level) that the cylinder is getting too much fuel to start or the possibility that the spark is not strong enough to fire the engine.
Any ideas out there?