Yamaha Fzr750

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Bugaboo
Spree
Spree

Yamaha Fzr750

Post by Bugaboo »

One of these is for sale near me. It's a 1988. Any one rode one or have any pros/cons about the bike?
It's official! I'm addicted
Wheelman-111

Re: Yamaha Fzr750

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

First there were the UJMs. Beginning in the early 70s, the Big Four all built air-cooled transverse two-valve four cylinders patterned around Honda-san's ground-breaking CB750KO. Four valvers followed in the late 70s. The CBX, KZ1100, GS1100, and XS1100 were about the peak of performance at the end of the decade.

In the mid-80s came the UJ(LC)Ms. More of the same except that they all came to the inevitable conclusion that liquid cooling was the only to increase reliable performance beyond current levels. With its V45 Sabre in 1982, (I owned one of those), Honda tried to make a go of the V-4 configuration, but evidently that superb design was eclipsed by the inlines in absolute performance. The CBR and the FZR were among the first of these.

There's a nice review of the FZR Here. Scroll down to read the detailed account of how 5 valves was thought to be better than 4. Yamaha changed its mind on that about 5 years ago. The FZR is a PGUB (Perfectly Good Used Bike) if there's nothing wrong with it. Beware * shifts or popping out of gear. Expensive and incredibly complex to split the cases on that one. It's also nearly impossible to ....

Dude! Swap in a DIO!!

Evidently the FZRs have a Fan Club.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH