What to do about a wheel, 83' Aero 50?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

BillMckraken
BMX
BMX

What to do about a wheel, 83' Aero 50?

Post by BillMckraken »

Well I'm still plugging away at trying to get this 1983 Aero 50 running. I believe I have most of the parts that were worn, missing or bad finally here. I have taken the tire off the rear wheel to see how bad it is. I have the new tires in, but I'm not sure that I can use this wheel.

I don't have a machine to measure how much its' out of round, but it's pretty visible. If I roll the wheel on a flat surface, it will fall over from wobbling (from the bend). Also if I place the wheel on it's side, on a flat surface; you can see gaps where it sticks up. The largest gap is just smaller than a house key thickness. I only got to drive it 5 miles before it wouldn't idle anymore and I began fixing, but the wobble was noticeable.

So, my question is....any advice or ideas what to do?
Is there a place that can straighten these?
Is there another model wheel I CAN find that will work?
Or should I part out the scooter (1600miles) to re-coup loss?

I feel somewhat stupid in buying this now. The only part I noticed that was wrong when I purchased, was the bent wheel. I shouldn't have trusted the guys' statement that "any honda spree or elite wheel will work". I specifically asked if I could get a new wheel and was told no worries. Ugh

Anyway, I'm just about ready to put things back together; but I figure I need to resolve the wheel issue first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Bill
Wheelman-111

Re: What to do about a wheel, 83' Aero 50?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

There's a good chance that the wheels from later Aero and Elite models will fit. I'll leave it to those with direct '83-84 ownership experience to advise which ones fit.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH