Lost elite key

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

hondadirtracer
BMX
BMX

Lost elite key

Post by hondadirtracer »

Looking at buying a 97 elite for $325. The owner lost the keys, so I want to know if it is possible to just jam a screwdriver into the ignition to start it. A whole new set of locks is $60 from honda, and I believe it will be more to have a locksmith make a key for it without having a key to copy. I already had the vin ran and the scoot is not stolen.
KingJeff801
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Lost elite key

Post by KingJeff801 »

hondadirtracer wrote:Looking at buying a 97 elite for $325. The owner lost the keys, so I want to know if it is possible to just jam a screwdriver into the ignition to start it. A whole new set of locks is $60 from honda, and I believe it will be more to have a locksmith make a key for it without having a key to copy. I already had the vin ran and the scoot is not stolen.

Just disconnect the ignition and it will start with the kick start. A scooter shop should be able to make a key for like $5.
2001 Elite S
72cc Corsa
24mm OKO
Scorpion Pipe

Pic and Vid post
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =pic+video

Gun Post
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =6&t=27051

Wrong Side Kings 4 Life
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

A honda dealer can make the key from the code on the back of the lock. They usually charge $10 for a key.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
hondadirtracer
BMX
BMX

Post by hondadirtracer »

The scooter does not have a kickstart (missing kick lever) and the closest honda dealer is 1 hr. away. I am living on-campus and have no way to transport the scooter non-running.
1987 Spree. Motor is in a rubermaid container.
1979 Honda Express that runs like a top.
motormike

Post by motormike »

...I have no experience with Elite ignition switch, but ANY switch can be jumpered to connect power to start....that's what thieves do,...might be trouble to remove enough plastic to actually get to the plug on the switch, but CAN be done....removal of center of switch will also allow screwdriver start, but amateur will surely destroy keyed portion of switch....then everybody could steal it.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

hondadirtracer wrote:The scooter does not have a kickstart (missing kick lever) and the closest honda dealer is 1 hr. away. I am living on-campus and have no way to transport the scooter non-running.

In your sig it says you have 2 other scoots. Take the spree kicker and put it on the elite :*:
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
hondadirtracer
BMX
BMX

Post by hondadirtracer »

Don't have the other scoots anymore. I haven't been on in a while and had not updated my sig. I am just trying to figure out a way that will be fast and cost effective to get the scooter running so I can get it back to my building.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

hot wire it :D
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Push it. Then take the ignition off get the code phone your honda dealer and have them mail it to you. Give them your story someone will help you out. If not, give me the code and I will have one made and mail it to you. ($10) Easy peesy :)