Head bolt not torquing

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Head bolt not torquing

Post by TiffanySpree »

Just finished assembling my first af16 motor! But. One of the head bolts is not torquing correctly. You know that sickening feeling of a bolt that just keeps on turning and not stopping. I stopped short of hopefully any permanent thread damage but a little short of the 7 ft-lbs click. Any tips on saving the case threading? Can I remove the bolt, coat the threads with some magic stuff (Hondabond, Threadlocker, etc.) and re-insert?
----
1986 NQ50d Spree Tiffany green/white - wifeys. Currently modding to get more *!
Early head, exhaust port, intake manifold, intake pod filter, 2.75 rear tire, pulley mod.
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Re: Head bolt not torquing

Post by Majourlittle »

Best thing to do is the right thing to do. Need to drill, re-tap and put in a heli-coil. Luckily a kit can be found at your local auto parts store and done with little dissasembly.
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

I'll do that when the bolt pops loose. For now, the motor is running and I'm starting my heat cycles on the new Nikasil kit. I'm just wondering if I should just keep torqueing it or just leave it alone. Maybe, it's still compressing the gasket. It's at about a full turn or less of not stopping (constant torque). Should I keep going until my wrench clicks? I'm turning it really slow. Does it need a washer? I don't think the manual calls for one and I think it stops short of bottoming out.
----
Early head, exhaust port, intake manifold, intake pod filter, 2.75 rear tire, pulley mod.
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

if the head ins't torqued down correctly, or if it is stripped, then running heat cycles will only warp the head.

I would stop and do what I stated in my previous post. If not, you might as well just throw away all of your hard work you did.

Do it right the first time or spend a lot of money to do it right the second time.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Majourlittle wrote:Do it right the first time or spend a lot of money to do it right the second time.
X2 especially with a head bolt.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Picking up a Helicoil kit on my way home. I'm going to go ahead and torque it more. It will either stop at the correct torque or pop the threads loose. This way I'll know. Right now, it's neither broken or tight. I'll update later.
----
Munstah666
Goped
Goped

Post by Munstah666 »

Sickening feeling indeed, I HATE that. GL, hopefully it will torque. just a tip check settings on you torque wrench didnt move.
µùѵ£¼Òü«Òé╣Òâ╝ÒâæÒâ╝Òâ×Òâ│
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

You hit the nail on the head!!! It was that and probably a weak bolt. The bolt snapped and the broken part came out of the case easily. The case is new and so the threads couldn't be bad. I think the bolts are made to snap if over-torqued. The wrench was only off a pound. It must have turned as I used it. I forgot to lock the handle. I rechecked it with a weight and it was still dead on. So I put another bolt in and it torqued fine after I locked the wrench at 7 ft lbs. Need to order a new bolt and be done with it. I can return the helicoil kit. I may buy a 1/4" torque wrench as the one I'm using is a 3/8". Thanks all.
Last edited by TiffanySpree on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

Very glad to hear it man, that would have been some BS to have a stripped head bolt hole
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

With all those Honda bikes, why return the Heli-Coil kit? Surely another bolt hole will need attention down the road.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

True! I'll just keep it. If any size will strip, maybe just maybe it's the 6mm. Not sure if it matters but it's not a Helicoil brand. In the 20 plus years of working on vintage Hondas, the only holes I used thread repair kits were spark plug holes.
----
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

I had the same problem with a head bolt. Took the bolt out after i felt it had turned wayyy too many times. Took a look at it and it was visibly stretched. Glad everything worked out well.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

Dont waste money on heli coil. Get a time-sert is the best one! :thumbwink:
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

veedubh20 wrote:Dont waste money on heli coil. Get a time-sert is the best one! :thumbwink:
For the spark plug holes, I use Perma-Coil. I can return this cheaper kit and get a Time Sert. I've heard that brand recommended a couple times. Thanks.
lilredspree wrote:I had the same problem with a head bolt. Took the bolt out after i felt it had turned wayyy too many times. Took a look at it and it was visibly stretched. Glad everything worked out well.
I could of done the same but I just went too far. I was thinking the case was wasted because the bolts are steel and the case aluminum. Glad I was wrong!

I ordered 2 head bolts and 2 exhaust studs. I can't wait a week though. Nice days are now getting precious here in Michigan! For a temporary bolt, I epoxied a nut on top of a 100mm stud. Worked just fine. Then, I thought why is there bolts instead of studs and nuts like most other older Honda motors? Anyone tried to convert theirs? Just curious. Bolts are easier for assembly.
----
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

some people do use studs on their bbks. i used studs on my last bbk, but opted for the bolts on my corsa