New Spree Owner

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

evster
Noob
Noob

New Spree Owner

Post by evster »

Well, soon to be owner! I've been looking for a 50cc scooter to fix up so I don't need to get a motorcycle license in my state. I just want one to ride around the city in the spring/summer & decided a Spree would be my best value... I'm picking up an '86 for $375, which is about what they have been going for in my area off CL. I almost bought one for $450 but from reading a few previous posts here that seemed like too much. So this forum has already been useful to me & I thought I'd ask a few questions for when I'm ready to ride it :)
My first step will be to clean it up & put some sort of storage on the rear rack. I was thinking a milk crate - how do you attach those? I'm also concerned that it doesn't lock so I will be getting two milk crates, cutting the bottom out of one so it fits in the top of the one I attach to the rack, & putting some hinges & a lock on it. Are there any other cheap, locking storage options I should think about instead of the milk crate? I thought it would look a little retro & fun.
Also, does anyone have any tips for painting a spree? It's old & in good condition but scratched & worn, so I think a new paint job would make it look nicer. I would also want to find some new Spree stickers to put on after I paint it. I'm thinking orange, green, or blue spray paint - the red color is ok but not my favorite. I'm just not sure what type of paint I should use. I figure I may as well have fun & put some time into it if I'm going to ride it.
Thanks!
motormike

Re: New Spree Owner

Post by motormike »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22185&p=195949&hili ... te#p195949

Here's a recent post addressing milk-crate attachment..... :hi:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
evster
Noob
Noob

Post by evster »

Ah, thanks, I didn't see that but I like that method, it looks easier than this one I was thinking of: http://www.chicagobikeblog.com/2007/08/milk-crate.html

I would love a basket on the front like on my bicycle so I can keep an eye on everything in it, but I'm not sure how that would work so the milk crate is sounding good.

I've never owned a moped before so I'm pretty excited to be getting one!
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Hello,and welcome to the forum.I've used 4-5 hose clamps.Holds it really good.You won't lose a load.Save the bungees for holding the load down.Good luck.Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

beware! once bitten by the scooter bug, there's no turning back!!!

yup. lil scoots are loads of fun.

paints will depend on your budget and taste.
i think the majority will settle on even a rattlecan spray paint job when done with care, it will look decent.

If you can get a hold of automotive paints and know of someone that can spray it on for you, that would be ideal.

At the moment, I am considering a rattlecan spray paint job for my daily driver runabout.
I'll post that project when I finally make time for it.

Congrats again!
CNI Dawg
Spree
Spree

Post by CNI Dawg »

Welcome !

You're really gonna enjoy the Spree !!!

I used Krylon Fusion on mine.

After repeated attempts found I had to paint in smaller sections otherwise the paint sets too fast & gets overspray looking problems. Just couldn't paint fast enough to get a good flow coat. Ended up masking off sections & breaking up with stripes

Came out looking OK....acceptable for a rattle can paint job
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6047/5882 ... 6eec_b.jpg
61Aand Still Having Fun !
Keeping the Dream Alive ! :)

01 Elite 50SR
'85 Spree
CMRA #77 MCE, '03 CBR600RR - Dark Horse Racing
1CrazyMoFo
BMX
BMX

Post by 1CrazyMoFo »

Good to know on the Fusion, thanks Dawg!!

evster~your in the right place, I've had my Spree for about a week now, the tech info here is fabulous!!!!
Peace,
Frank
?? Sears Allstate Compact
85 NQ50 Spree
86/2001 CMX Rebel (Daughters)
65 XLH 900
75 GL 1000