Hi from south australia!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

geezer101
Goped
Goped

Hi from south australia!

Post by geezer101 »

Hi guys. In my vain search for tips and advice to keep my wife's Honda elite 50 going I stumbled across your site. It's an AF05E engined model built in 11/87 and until recently ran a treat. After it started losing top speed and developed a disturbing engine vibration I pulled it of the road until I had the time to take it apart and inspect the fault. A search online led me to believe the little elite was an extinct species - there are scooter forums here in Australia but they either had no references to my wife's scoot or were run by people who would lead you to believe they are part of a secret organisation and will not part with their info unless you joined! Finding parts for it here is near impossible (I wasn't able to get a replacement headlamp so I modded one to take a H4 halogen globe!) and the few parts I can get are on offer for extortionist prices. Here's a pic or 2 of the beast we lovingly call "Somkey Joe"
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Re: Hi from south australia!

Post by OneBulletDan »

Sweet SE! Been trying to pick up one of those for six months.

Oh, well. Can`t have `em all.
We can learn much from wise words, and less from wise guys.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

very nice :2thumbs:

Not sure if we got that color here in the usa or not.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
geezer101
Goped
Goped

Post by geezer101 »

Thanks guys. Apparently honda had specific colours for the Australian market. I am trying to get my head around the model codes and how to read them but the code that 'should' correspond with the numbers on this aren't coming up as blue (or aqua or whatever...) The numbers are AF12-1443706 build date 11/87. Engine No. AF05E-8443732. This poor thing was being used as a farm hack and had been laid out on gravel a few times but it's in relatively good condition. When we had it given to us I emptied the wasp nest out of the air box :shock:, cooked the muffler and knocked the dirt out of it, gave the tank a clean out and a drink of some fresh juice and away she went! I pulled the engine down yesterday to find a shot crank bearing, scoring in the bore and the seals to be fragged. I can't even get a belt off the shelf for it here. Not many guys are interested in these things here in adelaide and finding good advice and tips has not been in my favour (THANK YOU GUYS FOR THIS SITE!) As a noob expect the usual battery of questions to help me resurrect Smokey. :thumbwink:
Last edited by geezer101 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

I must not be living right. The only time somebody "gives" me a scooter is when I leave most of my wallet with `em.
We can learn much from wise words, and less from wise guys.
Madman
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Hi from south australia!

Post by Madman »

Hello from Japan!

But I'm an Australian, that scoot looks in good nik love the Australian blinkers or are they standard for this model? One of the other fellers will answer that,(thanks)

I'm sure you will get it going again, just need some tlc and bailing wire lol.

Good luck!
SYM dd
50mm 82cc KABOOOOOMMM
Strengthend crank
V8 typhoon
Malossi clutch springs yellow
Datona +20% center spring
kitako type x variator
Oko28mm
CT intake
Madman
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Hi from south australia!

Post by Madman »

If you need any parts maybe I can help? But postage will suck from here!!
SYM dd
50mm 82cc KABOOOOOMMM
Strengthend crank
V8 typhoon
Malossi clutch springs yellow
Datona +20% center spring
kitako type x variator
Oko28mm
CT intake
geezer101
Goped
Goped

Post by geezer101 »

The front indiactors are the correct for this model. The rears are mounted on a chromed carry all rack (which is useless because all it could handle would be 2 cartons of milk...) I removed it and installed some cheap aftermarket ones in the recesses either side of the brake light to declutter the back end. The side covers are carved up and have a few broken mounting tabs but I've patched them up and made a solid mount for the top anchor points (before you'd be riding along, hit a bump and instant naked scoot!) It's also missing that lower lip that goes across the inside of the front wheel well - no chance of ever finding one here, in any colour... The problem with these scooters in Australia is they usually fall into the hands of recyclers and even if they're running and in good condition, they end up getting stripped and sold off for parts to maximise cash return. And they make sure you pay a premium for those parts. :cry:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Sounds like you have oiling issues. You should upgrade to a better oil.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
geezer101
Goped
Goped

Post by geezer101 »

Bear45-70 wrote:Sounds like you have oiling issues. You should upgrade to a better oil.
I'm not sure if oiling was the issue - I think it may be more related to this -
Apparently those are genuine km's on the original engine and it had never been apart during it's life. The compression was slightly down so I ran a hotter plug. The missing screw in the instrument cluster is the result of the previous owner's ham fisted attempt to figure out why the fuel tank only shows 50% when it's at full capacity. I'm using (or was using) a semi synthetic 2T oil but no guarantees on what the former owners were putting in it. Anyways, I'm going to try to get it running again but it looks like I'm up for a complete rebuild... somewhere between the search for the Holy Grail and selling an organ :|
Last edited by geezer101 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I'm pulling for you, geezer. I'm also thinking you should start shopping for an alternate ride... :wink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Ewestfall
Spree
Spree

Post by Ewestfall »

Love the scoot digger the color..where can I get a catch pan like that an auto store....that's sweet btw ..Welcome
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

OneBulletDan wrote:Sweet SE! Been trying to pick up one of those for six months.

Oh, well. Can`t have `em all.
Shame on you for uttering shuch words. :wink:

21k original miles is a true testament to Honda's build quality.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
geezer101
Goped
Goped

Post by geezer101 »

motormike wrote:I'm pulling for you, geezer. I'm also thinking you should start shopping for an alternate ride... :wink:
I'm getting bitten by the scooter bug but I think I'm having enough headaches with this one thankyou! Or are you suggesting that you relieve me of my burden and I mail you this one? It will be no good to you, it's a right hand drive... :naughty:
motormike

Post by motormike »

geezer101 wrote:
motormike wrote:I'm pulling for you, geezer. I'm also thinking you should start shopping for an alternate ride... :wink:
I'm getting bitten by the scooter bug but I think I'm having enough headaches with this one thankyou! Or are you suggesting that you relieve me of my burden and I mail you this one? It will be no good to you, it's a right hand drive... :naughty:
What I'm suggesting is that you might be happier with a scooter that has a ready-available selection of parts rather than the challenge of finding elusive and costly spares for your less-plentiful, but desirable scooter.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"