CHT question

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

CHT question

Post by OneBulletDan »

Bought a three inch Westach CHT to sorta match my three inch tach. In the instructions, they mention that you might or might not want to remove the metal gasket on the spark plug before installing the thermocouple.
The therm connector measures .045", while the plug gasket measures .083".

My question is, would it be better to have the plug .038 closer to the piston, or .038 farther away by leaving the gasket on the plug?

While I`m begging for advice, is it OK to tape the metal lead to the wiring harness after you get a foot or so away from the plug, or does it get too hot to be next to wires? Do you guys drill an extra hole in the shroud to run the wires through, or do you just run `em out the spark plug opening?

`Tis better to ask questions and appear to be an idiot than to remain silent and remove all doubts by screwing up a perfectly good piece of machinery.
We can learn much from wise words, and less from wise guys.
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Re: CHT question

Post by OneBulletDan »

Twenty eight lookers and no answers? *?
5If5Ke5Fc3N23l53Hdc3v12fc8c683c101556.jpg
5If5Ke5Fc3N23l53Hdc3v12fc8c683c101556.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
Last edited by OneBulletDan on Mon May 07, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

I'm lookin because I want to know the answer as well :hi:
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

OneBulletDan wrote:My question is, would it be better to have the plug .038 closer to the piston, or .038 farther away by leaving the gasket on the plug?I would remove the gasket

is it OK to tape the metal lead to the wiring harness after you get a foot or so away from the plug? Yes

Do you guys drill an extra hole in the shroud to run the wires through, or do you just run `em out the spark plug opening?I run mine out spark plug hole
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

By the way...i'd remove the gasket just because i'd rather have the spark further in the mix than further out.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The thermocouple wires conducting heat to nearby wiring is not an issue, temperature drops pretty fast in the bitty wires. Also, there's all that cooling air under the shroud.

I like to route sensitive wiring away from the ignition as much as possible. The thermocouple is less than 0.040v and even into the 0.010 range depending upon temperature and thermocouple wire type (Type J is higher output, Type K is used too, and is under 10mv below 470F.). Thus keeping away from the coil wire is a good start. No need to make it a tach pickup too :)

My CHT wire goes away from the plug ASAP - then down/out the opening cooling air exhausts over the intake/carb area.
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Thanks, guys. Will do!