Abuse on a moped?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Abuse on a moped?

Post by Mystic »

I guess it is because I live in the country so I always get people who are interested in my scooter. The other day this huge harley and a guy on a rebel pulled up at a gas station and when i was leaving the guy on the harley was like I will race you for papers. I just laughed and was like I dont even have a title :P The only problem I ever have is people cutting me off at 4 way stops and passing me in a no passing zone. But like I said IF someone does throw something at me I have plenty of stuff in my glove box to throw back :love:
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

I had one of my old Harley buddies offer the same thing. I told him I`d do it, and his jaw dropped! Then I told him the rules: I`ll put a cup of gas in mine, and you put a cup of gas in yours, and we`ll race to Bridgeport and back.

He declined. :surprise:
We can learn much from wise words, and less from wise guys.
geezer101
Goped
Goped

Post by geezer101 »

OneBulletDan wrote:I had one of my old Harley buddies offer the same thing. I told him I`d do it, and his jaw dropped! Then I told him the rules: I`ll put a cup of gas in mine, and you put a cup of gas in yours, and we`ll race to Bridgeport and back.

He declined. :surprise:
:bowrofl: well, there's one challenger who has conceded. You should've asked him if he can lift his bike onto a work bench to do the brakes as well...
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

i have heard stories of old harley riders and ball bearings :smile: im sure the prison sentence that goes along with it if you get caught isnt the greatest :nervous:
motormike

Post by motormike »

...Hey,..anybody riding a Harley can always claim those ball bearings were just some loose parts that fell off.
It's a plausible defense.... :imo:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

You apparently haven`t ridden a post `84 Harley......... :crazy:
motormike

Post by motormike »

OneBulletDan wrote:You apparently haven`t ridden a post `84 Harley......... :crazy:

Truth is I've only ridden two Harleys since 1960. The first a '57 servi-car that my dad would ride home for lunch on. He worked for Highfield Buick in Decatur IL. The dealership owned the trike for errands and towing, of all things, and dad would ride me back to school after lunch. That is where I believe I acquired the taste for 3-wheelers,i.e.: gyro... :smile:
The second time was a short neighborhood jaunt on my nephews V-rod a few years back. I really felt an awkwardness in the geometry of that bike and couldn't give it back to him quick enough. No hate here, just a machine not well suited for my riding style.... :hi:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

I think the Vrod was Harley`s Edsel.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

OneBulletDan wrote:I think the Vrod was Harley`s Edsel.
The Vrod gets too much love now to be an Edsel.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

OneBulletDan wrote:
patthesoundguy wrote:I've never had anything thrown at me. I get lots of thumbs up though. Sometimes the High school kids make fun of me because they have to walk like chumps. I did have a kid drive by me in the parking lot today when I had my plastics off checking my carb, and his buddy in the passenger seat told me to get a life but only after they were far enough for me not to really hear because he was a p*ussy. I don't care, they were driving a s*** box car and why would i care. I had a young kid hang out of the window of a moving car to tell how much he liked my scooter two weeks ago that was cool.
That`s the normal around here, too. I get a lot of waves, thumbs ups, and smiles. The common thing while stopped at a trafic light is, "What kind of mileage do you get?", or "Where can I get one?".
Folks that normally wouldn`t think about talking to me will strike up a conversation while I`m scooting. Maybe it`s because I can`t ride the thing without a big grin on my face! :love:
I cant go a single day without someone asking "You wanna sell it?" Had some kid yell that at me while im wearing full gear and helmet. I shook my head no. He came up to the gas station when I parked and said "You said you would sell it for $450?" Um... I didnt say anything hehe and not a chance that ill sell it. This thing is my only mode of transportation. Why would I sell it?
1987 Honda Elite SE50
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

No troubles out of the ordinary while I've been riding.
Ordinary troubles listed in no particular order:
1) close calls - cars pulling into my space while I'm still in it. :nervous: The last incident, I lost my cool and followed said vehicle until it stopped at a stoplight, and I pulled up beside the driver and started yelling (no profanity) informing her that she almost hit me and caused an accident where I could have died and that she should be more careful. Then I rode away, feeling much better after I 'vented'. :thumbwink:
2) getting called out to 'race'. (I just think to myself, "go ahead. you'll only be racing yourself, duh! :crazy:")
3) getting stared at ? :shock: (it took a while to get used to, and it's pretty cool that other people notice but I sometimes wonder if they're looking at my nice moped/scoot or at the crazy kook in full riding gear on it(me)? :mrgreen:)
Last edited by Dio89Elite on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

I spend more miles on my bicycle than my scooter. Would agree that sometimes bullying goes too far with tragic results. I think it is human nature to remember the close calls and not the people who treat you with respect. I spent sometime in South America about 15 years ago. There it was the bigger the SUV meant that you owned more of the road. They would drive at you with one set of tires over the dividing line.

Protection in the form of a firearm can only help so much. A handgun doesn't do you any good when you are sideswiped. With 10,000 cars going by you every year how are you to know which one means you harm vs which one made a mistake. If you have an off-the-bike altercation you might find it an advantage. Is one worth having, well of course. Would beat dying. Just like having a tool to get out of a jam it might prove useful and only weighs a pound if you never use it.

When we were young we hitch hiked all over. Never worried too much. Usually the best people to give you rides were the VW's. Not too many passed without stopping. Never worried about getting mugged or worse. It was a kinder gentler era.

These days, just in case:Image
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

elitedio wrote:I spend more miles on my bicycle than my scooter. Would agree that sometimes bullying goes too far with tragic results. I think it is human nature to remember the close calls and not the people who treat you with respect. I spent sometime in South America about 15 years ago. There it was the bigger the SUV meant that you owned more of the road. They would drive at you with one set of tires over the dividing line.

Protection in the form of a firearm can only help so much. A handgun doesn't do you any good when you are sideswiped. With 10,000 cars going by you every year how are you to know which one means you harm vs which one made a mistake. If you have an off-the-bike altercation you might find it an advantage. Is one worth having, well of course. Would beat dying. Just like having a tool to get out of a jam it might prove useful and only weighs a pound if you never use it.

When we were young we hitch hiked all over. Never worried too much. Usually the best people to give you rides were the VW's. Not too many passed without stopping. Never worried about getting mugged or worse. It was a kinder gentler era.
I know because I practice "Situational Awareness" Which means you are always aware of what others are doing around you and if you ride any other way the moronic drivers of cars will maim or kill you.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

Bear
Do you practice shooting accurately while you ride?
My peripheral vision doesn't extend into telepathy, I can't read what is in someones heart.
Be careful and lucky. Riding on two wheels is dangerous.
Bear45-70 wrote: I know because I practice "Situational Awareness" Which means you are always aware of what others are doing around you and if you ride any other way the moronic drivers of cars will maim or kill you.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

Bear45-70 wrote:I know because I practice "Situational Awareness" Which means you are always aware of what others are doing around you and if you ride any other way the moronic drivers of cars will maim or kill you.
Very true, I also like to think that I'm doing the same, tis why could be accidents were just close calls. Some of my friends sometimes tell me, hey! I saw you riding... didn't you see me wave? (I guess they were expecting me to wave back.)
To which I reply, I saw you wave, but I'm busy scanning the landscape (for situational assessment and perhaps survival) making sure that I'm aware of everything else around me. If you catch me at a stoplight, then I'll wave back. :thumbwink:

Bear, thanks for the link for open carry. I saw that the 50th state does allow it. We just need a license. :thumbwink: