New member section?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

zadman2012
Goped
Goped

Re: New member section?

Post by zadman2012 »

um, I just realized from more reading online that I have to consider oil injection ports on my new carb choice...

does the oko 21mm have a port for oil injection as well as others I'll need? It hadn't occurred to me that some carbs would not have one ready to use. I DO like my oil pump. I am fussy about some new-fangled stuff, but mixing fuel isn't my favorite activity.

guess I have new info to research. darn. I was thinking about going to bed too...
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I have 2 OKO carbs, a 21 and a 24 with an extra port for the oil injection. But even if the carb does not have one, you can add an extra nipple to the intake for it.

For your stated end result I wold choose a 21 mm carb.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
motormike

Post by motormike »

If you have'nt sen my thread regarding the carb mod on Aero 125, here is the link... :hi:
Link to Aero 125 carb topic
Thanx for the moderator-help with link.... :urban: ... :coolcruise:
Last edited by motormike on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

you can use stock intake. cheap way to use dellorto carb has oil line feed.

small carb use less fuel than oko 19mm -30mm and easy to tune.
zadman2012
Goped
Goped

Post by zadman2012 »

yes, I have noted that people with the bigger carbs note loss of mpg. Most don't care, but I find myself waffling. I want better acceleration, no flat spot, and the 43 mph it is supposed to go with lighter riders. I imagine since my carb has been diagnosed as terminal that ANY healthy carb with a bigger jet would do. Do I need grinding on the manifold with dellorto? I am confusing the @@@@ out of myself looking at options. Shoot. Well, I have time to decide. I only get paid once a month. :smile:

Perhaps I should just finish out my evening trying to find the most direct way to hasten acceleration a bit and worry less about the top speed. I suppose the direct solution to top speed is to pick my route more carefully. 40 mph solidly regardless of hills would suffice I suppose. What options are suggested for a carb with a manual choke using stock manifold and a, what, 90 jet, are there?
The dellorto has been mentioned before. I'll investigate it. The healthy snort at stoplights from a 24 is appealing too. I need to make up my darn mind.
could using my manual cold start setup Bear helped me with on a new stock carb with 90 jet do the job? Or does a fat guy like me NEED a big carb and better reeds? Bear had mentioned better reeds with a stock carb...
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

On my Aero 80 I had stock carb with 90 main, stock airbox w/new filter, new belt, clean variator with 15 gram sliders and had awesome takeoff from a stop, about 45 top speed plus I weigh 250 6' 2" tall. Could hold 35 up Seattle hills.

Just sayin'.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
zadman2012
Goped
Goped

Post by zadman2012 »

sliders not rollers? I see much conflict as to which to use. Thanks for the input.
zadman2012
Goped
Goped

Post by zadman2012 »

pulling together an idea that might end up doing what I need without getting too wild.

bear mentioned this:
The '83 and '84 Aero 80 came with an 88 main jet, which was EPA lean. A 90 main jet cures this. You can replace the stock reeds with some Boyesen dual stage reeds #740. They will improve the off the line performance and help the top end a bit.

zuphilius offered this:
On my Aero 80 I had stock carb with 90 main, stock airbox w/new filter, new belt, clean variator with 15 gram sliders and had awesome takeoff from a stop, about 45 top speed plus I weigh 250 6' 2" tall. Could hold 35 up Seattle hills.

Now, I have some 16 gram rollers I can use. I have stock replacements said to be 21 grams in there, from honda direct parts, with a belt perhaps 2 weeks old, maybe 50 miles on it. Now, A rebuilt Stock carb jetted 90 (mine seems pretty well hashed,) the reeds mentioned above, these lighter rollers I have already... If I could hold 35 up steep hills and pull near 45 on plain old regular gas and honda 2 stroke oil... it would do what I want for about half the cost? I still haven't taken the little cover off the back of the cvt case either.
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Stock, I believe Bear has mentioned, is 16 grams. I went with 15 gram sliders, because that's all my local Honda place had at the time in stock. I forgot if you mentioned if you cleaned all the grease out of your variator and have taken the cover off the back and discarded it, or put it away if you're a pack rat and can't throw it away since its a stock piece.

Replace the gear oil, if you haven't already.

You should see 40-45 easy on your Aero.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
zadman2012
Goped
Goped

Post by zadman2012 »

that's the wierd thing. replacement rollers are listed as 16, but honda direct lists them at 21. I am confused myself, as I had seen the info of 16 gram before. I have the same ones listed and am tempted to weigh them myself. I am at a loss to what else to do. I am carbless as of tonight. I have a cracked carb spacer and a stripped ,ounting hole carb to intake. pretty much explains the sputtering from idle to 10 mph, yes? gnite. back soon.
oh, yes...cover is off, no grease at all. gear oil done. used 10w40 like the manual said. I am confused about that as well.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

zadman2012 wrote:that's the wierd thing. replacement rollers are listed as 16, but honda direct lists them at 21. I am confused myself, as I had seen the info of 16 gram before. I have the same ones listed and am tempted to weigh them myself. I am at a loss to what else to do. I am carbless as of tonight. I have a cracked carb spacer and a stripped ,ounting hole carb to intake. pretty much explains the sputtering from idle to 10 mph, yes? gnite. back soon.
oh, yes...cover is off, no grease at all. gear oil done. used 10w40 like the manual said. I am confused about that as well.

Aero 80 = 16
Aero 125 = 21
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
zadman2012
Goped
Goped

Post by zadman2012 »

aha. yes, once again I cross up data from 80 and 125. thanks again.