Ignition System Conversion... A Must Read

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Ignition System Conversion... A Must Read

Post by wikked_spree57 »

OK so I have this moped I'm fascinated with. It's an old 78 Pacer. I scoured the internet and was not able to find the missing points.... So, my buddy had the bright idea to do an electronic conversion. What he did breaks down like this: My bike has a tiny crank shaft. Small enough in fact that with some modification to the outer engine case, I now have a flywheel and coil mounted from a Stihl chainsaw.

My best friend spent a few hours fabricating this setup to work but I was able to ride the bike a couple blocks, I was geeked! We still have to fine tune it, but he timed the whole thing by hand. I don't want to try to explain how he made this work, I'll post some pictures when I got a few minutes. I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on this conversion.

My only problem left to solve is the clutch sticks once the engine is running. In other words, if i stop the bike it stalls the motor, but with the engine off it will coast without rolling the motor over. If you pedal it then pull the clutch handle, it rolls the engine and will release and coast if you let go. Just once it starts, the clutch fully locks right away. I got it to 19mph with quite a bit of RPM so I do question wether or not this is 2 speed. I'm not 100% sure which engine it is, I just know it's an M01 or M02 reedless version.

Compression test shows 140PSI :) I like those numbers.

Any suggestions on the transmission? :werd:
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Ignition System Conversion... A Must Read

Post by mousewheels »

Sure, I'm watching :hi:

Never seen a Pacer - had to go off searching right away. Is this like yours? Edit: - found pics of your pacer in the Wanted/For Sale section..
Pacer.jpg
Pacer.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 1478 times