New Guy

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

efajeep
Noob
Noob

New Guy

Post by efajeep »

Hey guys just joined the sight the other day since I found a good deal on a Spree and I went ahead and picked it up today. Its a 1986 model in black. Its in good shape and of course its missing the petcock cover and from what I have read that is common.

The guy I bought it from works for honda so he through in a carb rebuild kit since he thought it would need it its just the needle, a spring and some gaskets. But after bringing it home and adding gas the sucker fired right up.

The only thing wrong with it as of now is it shutters/shakes pretty bad from about 5 mph through 7mph the it smooths right out. I am thinking clutch plates or belt. I have not downloaded the manual yet but I will. If anyone can give me a hint on the possible shaking issues I would appreciate it and maybe if there a Napa part # for the belt or clutch plates tha would be great to. By the way the bike has 5,000 miles on it I guess its had a good life.
motormike

Re: New Guy

Post by motormike »

Shaking is probably associated with the condition of the belt.
The clutch may also have a role in the shaking complaint.
Those two items are easily inspected by removing the cover on the left side of the engine.
I can't give you NAPA numbers. Neither can NAPA...hahahaha..... :smile:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Greetings and welcome. The manual will give you the minimum specs on the belt - hopefully it is nothing more serious. You will find many posts on the subject of Spree belt replacements, the one I went with and see most often suggested is an Ax24 (cogged). It can be found at most industrial supply companies for under $10.00. It is not exactly the same dimensions as new stock, but works fine.

Good luck
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
efajeep
Noob
Noob

Post by efajeep »

Cool thanks for the answers guys. I will take a look at the belt next weekend and take a look for the cogged belt locally. I guess Napa is not a choice on this one :thumbwink:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Juddery, * take off usually means an out-of-round clutch bell. No "plates" like on a motorcycle but a sort of reverse-drum brake affair. It's easy to imagine an oval bell being * on take-off.

NAPA or even the Deepinnaharta Belt Doctor store has nothing like Honda's belts. OEM is about $25 through your dealer, and My dealer lists an Aftermarket belt for $17 that it turned out is the exact same belt as the Honda-branded one.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Juddery, * take off usually means an out-of-round clutch bell. No "plates" like on a motorcycle but a sort of reverse-drum brake affair. It's easy to imagine an oval bell being * on take-off.

NAPA or even the Deepinnaharta Belt Doctor store has nothing like Honda's belts. OEM is about $25 through your dealer, and My dealer lists an Aftermarket belt for $17 that it turned out is the exact same belt as the Honda-branded one.
The correct term is "Centrifugal Clutch" like used on go-kart and old reel type lawn mowers.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
efajeep
Noob
Noob

Post by efajeep »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Wow how whould the clutch bell get out of round? I will see what the local dealer has as far as belts and see what the oem vs aftermarket belts they have
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I've got a good clutch bell if needed. I'm also in SoCal.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The clutch bell gets hot during a protracted slippage event, then warps by uneven cooling under the pressure of the shoes. It happens pretty commonly actually, just like the old drum brakes. It may be possible to have it machined back to a smoother surface if there's enough metal to work with. Certainly it's cheaper to find a used one, or even a better-ventilated Aftermarket item. With high-output engines, most tuners run without the rear cover, or with an artfully carved one that admits plenty of cooling air.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
efajeep
Noob
Noob

Post by efajeep »

Cool I will try to download the service manual tonight. Once I pull the cover off is any oil going to come out or is it a dry clutch setup?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Dry.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125