Knobby Tires

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

BluPhire wrote:I wish I could tell you how it affected my speed, but I messed with the airfilter, and now It wont get passed 30. So I'm hot sure if affected my speed or not. The tires were about $30.00 a piece. new tubes were $5.00 a piece. So it isn't an expensive investment.
as in airfilter stays open a bit now? you could be vacumming at high speeds. imo

how good can you control the bike on the dirt?
projects galore :nerd:
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

I can handle pretty well on the dirt, it's better than the bald road tires. lol. As for the air filter, I have no clue what it goin' on there.
I try to fix things with a hammer and wrench!
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

u could mess with the gearing so u have better acceleration. but it will have less top end speed. i have a junk spree i was gonna put a 5 horse briggs+straton on.
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

Would a wet Air filter slow me down 10 mph?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

BluPhire wrote:Would a wet Air filter slow me down 10 mph?
yes. probably wouldnt cause vacumming, but would slow you down. filter isnt supposed to be wet nor dry, but oily.
projects galore :nerd:
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

I let it air dry over night, I'll check how it does when I get home from school.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Blufire,

You could get more torque and lower top speed by putting a washer (1/16" thick or so) between the starter ring and front inside pulley. This speads the pulley halves and increases the ratio b/t engine and wheel.

Watch for buzzing at the starter; if you space the ring too far out it the starter might have a hard time engaging.

LMK if you try it, and what happens.
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

This is why I keep a Kawasaki Prarie 650cc around, for those off road occasions. I still want to try the spree off road, lol.
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

noiseguy wrote:Blufire,

You could get more torque and lower top speed by putting a washer (1/16" thick or so) between the starter ring and front inside pulley. This speads the pulley halves and increases the ratio b/t engine and wheel.
Can you explain this a little more in detail for me? Sounds like a good idea I might want to try.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

what hes saying is the belt fits in between the two pulley halfs and stops at a certain point. if you space the pulley halfs further apart the belt will stop lower on the pulley and increase the ratio.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Yes, that's exactly right. If you read about the "pulley mod" in the performance section, you're doing the exact opposite. For the "go faster" mod (which I've done to mine) you remove material from the inner pulley.

You want the "go slower with more torque" mod, which means spreading the pulleys apart with a washer. This mod is easily reverseable, too.

BTW, this is exactly how a variator works, and why Spree are so slow compared to other 50cc scooters with variators (ie Elites and Aero, et al.) A variator spreads the pulleys apart at low RPM, and tightens them up at high RPM. It's a form of CVT, continuously variable transmission. Snowmobiles use a form of this too.

Further, it sounds like MRFIXIT put a variator on a Spree by changing to an Elite crank and variator. A lot of work, but there's no other way to add it, the Aero 50 variator will not fit (I've already checked, it's too wide.)
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

what about a honda hobbit moped? think that would fit?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

noiseguy wrote:Yes, that's exactly right. If you read about the "pulley mod" in the performance section, you're doing the exact opposite. For the "go faster" mod (which I've done to mine) you remove material from the inner pulley.

You want the "go slower with more torque" mod, which means spreading the pulleys apart with a washer. This mod is easily reverseable, too.

BTW, this is exactly how a variator works, and why Spree are so slow compared to other 50cc scooters with variators (ie Elites and Aero, et al.) A variator spreads the pulleys apart at low RPM, and tightens them up at high RPM. It's a form of CVT, continuously variable transmission. Snowmobiles use a form of this too.

Further, it sounds like MRFIXIT put a variator on a Spree by changing to an Elite crank and variator. A lot of work, but there's no other way to add it, the Aero 50 variator will not fit (I've already checked, it's too wide.)

is the aero50 different then the elite? what year did u try to fit it to?1984?
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The Aero 50 has a 3-gear rearend and a variator, different reeds and probably carb. It's quite a bit different from the Spree. The Aero variator would not fit my '84 Spree, but might fit yours based on your pics (which is interesting.)

MRFIXIT actually installed a newer Elite 50 motor, not new parts into the Spree cases (which is what I thought he'd done originally.) An Elite 50 plant is a much better starting platform for mods, and comes close to bolting up in place of the Spree plant.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

i took a look and measured the spline shaft and it is the same as the 84.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx