1986 Variator, and corresponding drive pulley

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

SLOTCARGUY23
Noob
Noob

1986 Variator, and corresponding drive pulley

Post by SLOTCARGUY23 »

Hello all. I wanted to ask any and all people that may have a minute to answer a couple of questions for me. I bought two Honda sprees three weeks ago, both 86's one with a kick starter the other without. The kickstarter one is for the wife, so she can at least get it turned over in case shes a ways out, mine is without. Ok enough blah blah blah. My spree was going about 3/4 to wot on a flat road, and the belt went. Got a replacement belt, the correct one. Put the belt on, and now it sounds like a car that doesn't shift properly. It will move out from a stand still, it will accelerate, but it has what sounds like a marble smacking around in the drive case.
I took off the case again, looked at the variator, and the fan side of it, looks like it was worn down in the middle. My question ultimately is.........Does anyone have, or make a replacement variator,and drive pulley, for the 1986 Honda Spree? And if so, where might I visit, or call to get a clean setup? I live in Romulus,MI. 48174, in case this matters. Thanks for following me through this "story" and have a good one. Benny.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78479253@N02/
This is the link for my pics. The one shot is a progression shot of my parts from inner to outermost,the next couple are of the variator front and back, the last is to show that the splines are fine and not free spinning the drive pulley. thanks again,Benny.
Last edited by SLOTCARGUY23 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 1986 Variator, and corresponding drive pulley

Post by Bear45-70 »

Sprees do NOT have a variator and do NOT shift. As to the noise, you caused it so go back in an fix it.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
SLOTCARGUY23
Noob
Noob

Post by SLOTCARGUY23 »

I agree, that the spree's do not shift. Its a centi-clutch. I was merely comparing the noise to a CAR that doesn't want to shift. I however think the inner wheel of the drive system up front is somehow faulty, and is what threw the belt. Thanks for the reply,Bear. I have gone back in several times to try and remedy this, but there just doesn't seem to be a fluid transfer of power from me accelerating to the drive pulley/ or clutch(lots of extra spinning).Benny.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Sounds like something loose or broken. I have a good setup for a kickstart conversion that will fit For Sale.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts