New to Board

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Hooray
Noob
Noob

New to Board

Post by Hooray »

Hello

My spree story. My father bought an 86 spree out of California a few years back for my Stepmother so that she could go down the hill to get the mail. He replaced the leather on the seat and had someone tune it up but they do live up a hill and as I'm finding out from the board, they don't like hills. The poor thing would go down the hill but not back up. So it sat. Last winter I inherited the spree, and got it licensed and running this spring, dead battery was the main culprit, old gas wasn't helping a ton either.

I want to eventually want/need to deal with the engine and the jets on the carbs but right now need more help in finding a straight rear rim.

My first question that I can't seem to get the right mix of keywords into the search box is, what years work for the 1986 NQ50 rear rim? I thought I had seen 84-88 but I can't find it again to confirm that is what I had seen and not just dreamt up.

Thanks in advance for any help and hellos!!
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: New to Board

Post by zuphilius »

84-86. Only years they were produced.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

84-87. Spree rear rim shouldn't be that difficult to locate. They usually are fine.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

noiseguy wrote:84-87. Spree rear rim shouldn't be that difficult to locate. They usually are fine.
Crap! I meant 87. I'm a newb.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

'88-90 elite E rims will also work.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

Congrats to your new (sort of... at least to you ;)) ride. :)
Do you still have hills to contend with? If not, they're alright on the flats.
Not very high top end speed but they're still a blast to ride. :)
Hope you find a replacement rear rim soon. At least you have a larger pool to look for it now.
Is the rear rim that badly bent out of shape? If not, I'd still ride it, but then that is me. ;) =P
Hooray
Noob
Noob

Post by Hooray »

Thanks all for the kind words and even kinder info.

No hills in Phoenix to worry about, well none anywhere near me. This will be my commuter to work, the whole .75 of a mile that I have to go. It got me through this summer but when the rim went, so did the ride. I was able to fix it once before but I think it's too far gone this time to even get it to reseal.

As for fun, hells yeah, I've already hit top speed on it at 31ish mph, and have scraped the sides going around a few curves. It's a blast.
stucinthe80z
Spree
Spree

Post by stucinthe80z »

Hello and welcome . i also own a spree they are fun and no they do not like hills .you will learn the flinstone method on hills .
i good cleaning of the carb is in order a also check and see if you have a restricted EXHaust .i cleaned mine and you would not beleave the diff.i ride mine to work .all the nice days. and i can on 1.50 a week V/S 30.00 in my car . you will find a lot of help here.on parts you my need .contact martynkim . he has a see of sprees .
Hooray
Noob
Noob

Post by Hooray »

Got the spark plugs yesterday, and I'm ordering a new air filter this weekend. Stalling on the purchase as I think I may just replace the belt at the same time. And yes the Carb cleaning. It has me shaking in my boots but after reading the board a bit more this past weekend I think it's obvious it has to be done.

As for the exhaust, I did read about putting it in the grill and trying to go that route. What tempertature are we shooting for when cleaning this thing out?
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

Hooray wrote:Got the spark plugs yesterday, and I'm ordering a new air filter this weekend. Stalling on the purchase as I think I may just replace the belt at the same time. And yes the Carb cleaning. It has me shaking in my boots but after reading the board a bit more this past weekend I think it's obvious it has to be done.
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... r_Cleaning http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ture_Guidethis may help you clean the carb

As for the exhaust, I did read about putting it in the grill and trying to go that route. What tempertature are we shooting for when cleaning this thing out?
the hotere the better but do not cool it with water it will warp and not go back on
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet