new scooter laws in MD??

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

ddw350
Goped
Goped

new scooter laws in MD??

Post by ddw350 »

so due to all the kids,homeless,vagrants,hoods,double and triple riders..Maryland has put a new law in effect starting oct 1st.ALL scooter and mopeds will need registered,helmets worn,and minimal insurance. all of which i have no problem with.BUT you need a title to register.christ,the express is 31 years old! i dont have no dam title!! nor do i have one for my 1990 elite? MVA is like..duhhh..i dont no what to tell you...any ideas folks?
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Re: new scooter laws in MD??

Post by Pete M »

You have a PM
89 Elite E
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

it is the government want money. they vote the wrong peoples in the house and senate..

Maryland just in debt goverment spending...
motomech
Goped
Goped

Post by motomech »

Just to set the record straight, starting Oct. 1st., 50cc scooters and mopeds are required to be to titled and insured, but not registrared. A sticker will be issued, not a plate.
As to why?
Well, for one thing, Md. has one of the most liberal Govenors and the State is all about taxing, spending(Social programs) and regulating.
45 mph plus two-stroke scooters and full modd'ed Ruckus types probably hasn't helped either.
And then there are the multitude "storage locker" vendors selling on Craigslist. The scream; "NO TITLE OR LICENSE NEEDED"(which was not true, a driver's license is needed)leading to the myth that those losers with DUIs could ride "mopeds".
If one wanted to point fingers at anybody, it would be those "fly by night" "dealers".
wkdvdub
Noob
Noob

Post by wkdvdub »

ddw350 wrote:so due to all the kids,homeless,vagrants,hoods,double and triple riders..Maryland has put a new law in effect starting oct 1st.ALL scooter and mopeds will need registered,helmets worn,and minimal insurance. all of which i have no problem with.BUT you need a title to register.christ,the express is 31 years old! i dont have no dam title!! nor do i have one for my 1990 elite? MVA is like..duhhh..i dont no what to tell you...any ideas folks?
Not completely true......If you owned a scooter or moped prior to October 1, 2012, and ÔÇ£do not haveÔÇØ a certificate of origin or title, you may sign onto the MVA website, complete an electronic affidavit, and receive a title and decal in the mail. You may also go through a tag and title service or dealership to process the transaction. When the web process is utilized and/or the Affidavit of Ownership Moped, Scooter & Off Road Vehicle, form VR-450 is used, there will be no need to use a separate application for title or application for a decal.

but go here for all the info,
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/I ... 00-76T.htm

meaning if you bought your scoot before Oct 1, 2012 then there will be NO TITLE FEE OR EXCISE TAX charged if you owned the moped or motor scooter prior to October 1, 2012, as long as you title them before October 1, 2013 and there will only be a $5 Sticker fee. After that the title fee only for motor scooters and mopeds purchased on or after October 1, 2012 is $20.00 and the excise tax is based on the purchase price of the vehicle. The minimum excise tax is based on $320.00 ($19.20 excise tax). The excise tax is exempt if you have paid Maryland sales or use tax at the time of purchase and have proof of the payment. Otherwise, 6% excise tax applies.

I have 2 scoots and had to fill out 3 forms.
1 for my '09 honda metro(http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-337.pdf) and
2 for my '86 honda aero 50 (the one above and http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-005.pdf)
'09 Honda Metro
'86 Honda Aero 50