How to make my black aero50 more visisble?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

ilikeaero50
Noob
Noob

How to make my black aero50 more visisble?

Post by ilikeaero50 »

I'm thinking you really can't be too visible and the tallest part that most cars would see are the rider. Does anyone know where to buy those cheap flourescent green construction jackets? Looking a for a full jacket that can go over a coat, not the vests. I tried a bicycle shop but they are like $100.

Also most helmets are black, should I just buy a white one and live with that to make more visible? i bought 2 bicycle flashing lights and am planning on putting one of those in front (clear) and one in back (red). Any other ideas? I would rather be seen and safe even if it makes the scooter or me look a bit goofy ha ha. Thanks for any ideas!
patthesoundguy

Re: How to make my black aero50 more visisble?

Post by patthesoundguy »

You might try an industrial supply shop, like granger maybe. I would try eBay and look through with free shipping in the search refine. That way you will find the deals from China.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

It doesn't have to be a full jacket; a vest will do. I know you said that you weren't looking for the vests but the vests do make a difference in visibility. (I have a neon colored green vest made by ICON. It is one of the better made vests that are out there and well worth the money IMO.)

I used to wear the orange colored ones but I noticed how 'bright' the neon green shirts that construction workers have sported so I decided to change my color scheme. The vest works great because I put it over my safety gear, including my rain suit top whenever the weather turns foul.

Another way to increase visibility is to add reflective stickers. They come in various colors and you can also cut into a shape or design if desired. You can add these tape to anywhere on your moped, a couple of pieces for the front and rear fascia. It doesn't have to be that large either. I have a sticker on the rear of one of my other helmets before. I haven't had a chance to add one to my current helmet.

If looking goofy is of no concern, a safety flag can be bought or made for the rear of the moped. With a little bit of creativity one should be able to make a decent safety flag for a relatively inexpensive monetary amount. These safety flags are put on quite a few rental mopeds and they do make the moped stand out and be of higher visibility.

The new 'bicycle' flashing lights will also help in attaining your higher visibility goals. The newer ones have brighter LEDs and are visible even during the day. Make sure you get the ones that you can replace the batteries, and that the batteries are the common double or triple A's, which last longer than the ones that utilize the button cell batteries.
ilikeaero50
Noob
Noob

Post by ilikeaero50 »

Good idea on the industrial supply. I went to this store http://www.sandersonsafety.com/store/index.cfm and they have green rubber raincoats for around $15, lined jackets for $30, and removable fleece-lined for $43. I ended up getting the removable liner one because it's more flexible. They are pretty comfortable.

They also have silver or green reflective tape for like $1.25 per foot. So I'm thinking the green tape on helmet and perhaps on side/front of scooter plus green jacket is going to be pretty darn visible. I think that jacket poeple will see a mile away. they also had some amber "clearance lights" that I'll stick on the side of the scooter with double sided tape. I saw a motorcycle cop the other day and he had flashing lights on the side and was really easy to see. I don't think I'll go with a steady amber on the side though otherwise poeple will thin you are turning.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The best thing to get motorists to pay attention is to wear a helmet similar to a cop's.
Since getting my white Shoei Santa Cruz, I can't tell you the number of times I've seen drivers startle at my approach, reach for seatbelts, complete a stop they were about to coast through, or just for a second pay attention. Sometimes that second is all you need.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Purchase a white hardhat and install an amber strobe light to the top and power with a 9 volt battery. You can ad a chin strap and set of goggles to enhance your appearence.
89 Elite E
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Here in Nova Scotia, even the badass biker dudes are wearing the flouresent green motorcycle jackets, they really save your buttocks.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Flouresent helmets are popping up a lot as well. There is no shame in not wanting to be roadkill!!!!

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock