Looking at a new ride.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Looking at a new ride.

Post by zuphilius »

In talks with a guy in West Seattle who has an Aero 125 for sale. Talked him down to $550, looks to just need a battery, has 1400 miles on it. I am trying to set up a meeting time, I usually have a 3 hour window to look during the week.
So, anything to look for when I do go?
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Re: Looking at a new ride.

Post by Tyler VR »

1984 HONDA AERO 125CC SCOOTER IMPORTED ONLY ONE YEAR RESONABLY CERTAIN THAT IT'S CLOSE TO A COLLECTORS SCOOTER. BIKE RUNS WELL NEEDS A BATTERY AND PLASTIC IS NOT PERFECT. 1,400 ORIGINAL MILES HAVE TITLE AND OWNERS MAUNUAL. ORIGINAL OWNER KEPT INDOORS.
I'm guessing it's this aero 125 off craigslist?

The low miles are cool, but things still degrade after 28 years. Looks like some damage to front, some torn plastic and resprayed front fender, I wonder what the story behind that is. Check for front end damage, bent forks.

You've bought a scooter before, you know what to looks for.

But some main things to check are if it cold starts well and if it can reach top speed, around 50mph.
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Thanks for the info, he lives out by Alki Beach, quite a ways from me, so it will have to be this weekend if I do get to go look.
I will check it over good before making a decision.
My biggest concern would be the belt from what I've been reading here.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I'm a little suspicious of that fork as well...looks pushed back to me, and I'm accustoming to seeing one often, as you know.
I will list the items that I found after buying mine.
A. Air filter element deteriorated and coating carburetor throat, plugging air passages
......in this condition, it started, idled poorly, and ran up to 45 mph
B. OEM belt at 28 years old lasted for several months of motormike riding...
......but when put under a distance run that put some heat into it, it exploded BIG time
NOTE: currently running 799 x 19 x 28 that is working fine and easily found in the $25-30 range.
Have on-hand in reserve a Gates Powerlink same dimension that looks much better, advise to buy the Gates.
C. Clutch pads showing 40% left after 6k...rollers flat-spotted badly after 4k, replaced with Dr.Pulley sliders (19 gram)...good choice = much better mid-range and top...would expect 17 to be very good ??
D. Gearbox oil was not changed upon purchase @ 894 miles...I regret that now @ 6K as the countershaft bearing exploded resulting in MAYHEM inside ...now looking for all gears and bearings, and looking, and looking.
E. Found the wheels had developed cracks around the spot-welds that hold the mounting tabs to the rim, resulting in slow leaks due to tubeless mounting. This was a difficult find, but easy fix with brazing.
F. LIKE the twin shocks rear
G. Replacing the OEM carb and intake with Mikuni and CT chrome was a snap with Bear's adapter.

Them's the highlights...any questions ?....always glad to help..... :urban:
BTW...his price of $550 negotiated is inline with my cost of $500... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

I say go see it, pick it apart and go for the best price you can get.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Procrastination will get you nowhere. It sold. On to the next.