Final Scooter

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Final Scooter

Post by zuphilius »

Finally! After a week without transportation (sold the Cabrio, much to my delight), I've been searching far and wide for a scooter to get me back and forth to work. Many, many tries later, I picked up a 2010 Honda Elite 110. Looked at one in red, but the "minor scratches" turned out to be "laid down at speed".
So, I went 35 miles south of here, almost to Tacoma, and found a black one with 62 miles on it for $1900. A feel it was a little high a price, but, I was tired of looking, it ran well without damage. Only issue I can find is the PO decided to use scotchbrite to remove some over spray, scuffing all the panels.
All in all, I'm impressed, hits rev limiter at 52 as expected from reading reviews. So, I will get a couple pics up as soon as possible.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
PolarIce
Spree
Spree

Re: Final Scooter

Post by PolarIce »

Congrats. I sold both of my 110's last year for 1800 each both had less than 500 miles. Luckily I only paid 2000 each plus tax from the dealer during the dead of winter.

1984 Honda NN50 Gyro
1986? Honda Aero 50
PolarIce=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Pola ... WAGB-11%29
Served Onboard 94-97
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Hey from sunny Arizona! Well, a lot has happened in the almost year I have been gone. Left the Seattle area back in August last year, brought the Elite with me, now it has a big sister in the form of a '09 Yamaha V-Star 950. I ride the 950 almost every day back and forth to work, but the Elite gets ridden everyday for running errands and the occasional ride to work when I want to have some fun with people. Did I mention, these are my only forms of transportation?
Well, anyways, here are a couple pics I promised a long time ago.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Nice and good to hear from you.

"now it has a big sister in the form of a '09 Yamaha V-Star 950"
Which one carries home the most groceries :)
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

The Elite of course, 4-5 bags full!
motormike

Post by motormike »

I am pleased to see this post and know that you have found your way to the land of the gods.
Congrats zup... :rock:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Thanks Mike! I'm enjoying the * out of it, except for a few stupid cages trying to race me at every light. I usually beat them until that "I can't let a scooter beat me!" mentality kicks in.
Anyways, I've been without a car for just under a year, I rode every day for three months in the Seattle area, then I've been riding every day down here since we got here back in August. 50's in the AM, 70's to 80's on my way home. Loving it here.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

52 will keep you off the freeways, probably. Any chance of making it a little faster - without spending hundreds on a different module?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

They had some mods from Japan, but out of my price range, and some aren't available anymore. I just ride in town, 45 limits almost everywhere. It's an easy ride everywhere here.
Hopefully when we get a house soon, I'll be on the lookout for a nice Elite 50 to mod. Always been my dream to do that.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

They had some mods from Japan, but out of my price range, and some aren't available anymore. I just ride in town, 45 limits almost everywhere. It's an easy ride everywhere here.
1) Engine RPM limit may be present - yet could be circumvented downstream via variator or gears.
2) However, RPM, variator or gear changes are caught if wheel RPM sensing is used to limit speed.

-- Low hanging fruit --
Larger rims and tires or just a larger tire dia? CPU does not have enough input to know. You could be as well riding into a headwind or going uphill.

Downside - Neither will your speedometer. The speedometer may register the same speed, but a GPS will show the difference.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It's been over a year but I recall riding my brother's Metro down a really steep hill. The engine became unresponsive to throttle any time the groundspeed exceeded 70 KPH - i.e. it's not just an engine RPM limiter but hooked into the speedometer somehow.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Long time no post.
Well, to put it bluntly, I no longer have the Yamaha 950. I got tired of wondering how much money I would eventually start dropping in it. I'm a scooter guy through and through.
So, still riding the Elite, 5500 miles so far. I'm getting about 80-85 mpg riding WOT for 21 miles each way to and from work, also from my new house. There have been issues with two flats, but other than that really nothing.
I follow DaBinChe on the Adventure rider forums, he has made YouTube videos for almost every maintenance requirement that needs to be done. Very helpful.
So I'm in a quandary. I'm going to buy a another scooter to fulfill my two scooter wants and needs. Still trying to figure out what tho. Not a lot of stuff down here available. Haven't found an Elite and only one Aero 80 has shown up, too much, one 86 Aero 50 for $400, no title. Only prob is I need them to go at least 50 for the 45 MPH speed limits on surface streets.
I don't know. But thanks for listening to my ramblings.
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

You can't go wrong with the bigger mid 80's Honda Elites. I know they are off topic here, but I've found them perfect for running around in the San Francisco Bay Area, where you have to get up and go right now to keep out of traffic problems. An Elite 250 is a big scooter, but will run at 65 all day and will do it for a long time, and get around 60 mpg. They are water cooled, so they tolerate the heat pretty well, too. I looked in Craigslist and the only thing I saw was http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/4687212035.html, which is not a great set of colors, but might be a really sound choice.
motormike

Post by motormike »

... :surprise: ....man that is one VISIBLE scooter... :lol: ...and ugly... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I echo wentwest, and currently ride 2000 Helix. My mpg is closer to 75 this first 1K miles.
It's a bit long for the tight in town thrashing, but a dream on the open road.
Great grocery-getter... :urban:
Great hearing from you zup ! !
Attachments
NEON Elite.jpg
NEON Elite.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 10489 times
SCCA-Ruby-Helix 043.JPG
SCCA-Ruby-Helix 043.JPG (83.28 KiB) Viewed 10490 times
SCCA-Ruby-Helix 046.JPG
SCCA-Ruby-Helix 046.JPG (148.23 KiB) Viewed 10490 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

Ugly is right!

But better "Hey, look at that idiot with the ugly scooter!" than the other choice, "I never saw him, officer."