79 Honda NC50 Express, barn fresh.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

fairlead
Goped
Goped

79 Honda NC50 Express, barn fresh.

Post by fairlead »

Thought I'd throw this out there in case any of you had one....I acquired a 79 Honda Express the other day. The cyl looks good. It is missing the muffler, flywheel cover, air cleaner and rear fender. I know very little about this bike other than a few internet articles. Ebay doesn't have much for these. Is this bike missing too much to restore, or does someone have a lead on parts for these, new or used? :jack:
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
09 Nautilus "Seahorse" (homebuilt)
10 Nautilus "Seabrook" (homebuilt)[/color]
79 Honda Express
67 Harley~Davidson golf cart
patthesoundguy

Re: 79 Honda NC50 Express, barn fresh.

Post by patthesoundguy »

I have an express they are a lot of fun and if you go to treatland.TV there are lots of go fast goodies for your new toy. Intakes, carbs, reeds, big bore kits, pipes the express shares a ton of engine parts with the hobbit. I have a big bore kit, intake, 19mm carb boyesen power reeds and a mom tuned pipe it went 41 or 42 mph.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

Sweet. I am hoping this thing sputters to life. It is such a basic design, I love it. Here's the photo:
Attachments
DSCN3016.JPG
DSCN3016.JPG (63.27 KiB) Viewed 9042 times
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

fairlead wrote:Thought I'd throw this out there in case any of you had one....I acquired a 79 Honda Express the other day. The cyl looks good. It is missing the muffler, flywheel cover, air cleaner and rear fender. I know very little about this bike other than a few internet articles. Ebay doesn't have much for these. Is this bike missing too much to restore, or does someone have a lead on parts for these, new or used? :jack:

I have everything you mentioned but an airbox. That is the hardest to find and most valuable part.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

Martynkim, I'll be screwing with this thing shortly to look for a spark of life. If the carb's ok and I can get spark it should run. At which point I WILL be contacting you for the rest. Maybe we can bundle a deal? Thanks for getting in touch.
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You can always pop a new delorto carb on it if its hard to get it to run without the air box. If you want to stay stockish you can get an adapter from treat land to run a sha dellorto on the the stock intake and they have filters that are part of the carb. Then all you have to do is get the main jet right and ride the bajeepers out of it :-) I would also recommend changing the gearbox oil as soon as you get it.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

Thanks Pat. Also, I fix mowers, and while perusing my scrap pile today I spied an air cleaner assembly from a late 80's wisconsin robin 2 stroke motor off from a Snapper push mower. The hole is the right size for the carb and it fits perfect, and somewhat resembles the original except its metal. Who cares about originality, when a replacement might run 125 bucks, I guess. I'll keep you posted, hope to get out and play with this thing in the next few days (although my Special is still languishing waiting for a top end!)

Would like to see a pic of your express, too. Mine was originally orange.
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
Culli
BMX
BMX

Post by Culli »

Hey Guys,
I just bought a 1978 Honda Express at an auction, orange, I will post a pic later. Anyway mine seems to be in good condition. It has spark, I cleaned the tank. Attempting to clean the carb in a dip tank the choke cable is really stuck. No air breather either, so I will try to find something to work. My wife thinks I'm nuts, I have two gyros and now an express. Glad to see some help out there to make things run. Thanks.

Culli
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

My express was a basket case when I got it. My choke plunger was corroded in the carb and broke off. I put a screw in the plunger a little spray and light heat it came right out. I think those choke cables are still available.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Culli wrote:Hey Guys,
I just bought a 1978 Honda Express at an auction, orange, I will post a pic later. Anyway mine seems to be in good condition. It has spark, I cleaned the tank. Attempting to clean the carb in a dip tank the choke cable is really stuck. No air breather either, so I will try to find something to work. My wife thinks I'm nuts, I have two gyros and now an express. Glad to see some help out there to make things run. Thanks.

Culli
Is it an Iowa express? 2 Gyros! Jealous.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

fairlead wrote:Martynkim, I'll be screwing with this thing shortly to look for a spark of life. If the carb's ok and I can get spark it should run. At which point I WILL be contacting you for the rest. Maybe we can bundle a deal? Thanks for getting in touch.
Have you checked the chain drive? Two expresses I've seen were rusted solid,
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

Culli, I have two sprees, two homebuilt scooters,and now an express. Nuts is a polite word, my wife thinks my collection is collossally ridiculous. I got rid of a 73 Beetle and the grand total of my bikes still doesn't equal its value, so I told her to "cut me some slack"..LOL

Btw, I scraped the red paint on mine, and discovered it was originally orange too. Glad about that. Don't see many orange motorbikes.
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
Culli
BMX
BMX

Post by Culli »

Yes, mine is an Iowa express, not been ran in 5 years or so.

Thanks for the tip to use some spray and maybe some heat.

Culli
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

There was a post not too long ago about how to free a stuck cable with a car battery it might be of help cant remeber who posted it though

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Culli
BMX
BMX

Post by Culli »

Well, I tried a little heat to get the choke slide out. It came out. However i must have been in too much of a hurry because it warped one ear where it bolts back on. I will have to drill out the hole even, hope I didn't ruin it. Anyway If I need a new carb does anyone know if a 1980 express will fit my 78?

thanks,

Culli