CHT's foir the rest of us.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

treekiller
BMX
BMX

CHT's foir the rest of us.

Post by treekiller »

Went looking for a CHT gauge I thought would be scottish, but everything I found was really not perfect or $$$ "Trail Tech" looked nice for $30 but battery power and No light for night use, not perfect.

So I looked what elsw was availble for that price.

The OBX is a nice looking gauge, $39 shipped on ebay, but there is no 1/8 NPT or anything close on a honda head to attach it..

Then I cam across this.

Pretty cool. about $16 shipped and visible @ night.
http://tinyurl.com/nywg4cx

Need a sensor, this one replaces the spark plug washer like the koso sensor, and CHEAP
http://tinyurl.com/lpsswzx

I'm gonna order one for the lead tonight, but I want the controller.
http://tinyurl.com/myt64rv

This not only has memory for last peak value, but will switch on or off a 12 volt circuit. Lets say for example I have a washer fluid pump hooked to a small water bottle, when CHT goes above a pre programmed value I can have the washer turn on and squirt a mist of water into the cooling fan. or really anything you can do with a on off switch.

For less then $35 shipped!
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Re: CHT's foir the rest of us.

Post by 66SIX »

Thanks for the tip I will check this out ...
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

i try not to by from Hong Kong and or China or some other place if i can better to by from the usa if you can ....
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

If you want to see that gauge work on a egt you can look at one of my videos of my 89 elite. They're not bad gauges, almost useless during the day tho, also a little slow on the refresh. You also can build a housing for it. The 12v isn't an issue, all you do is run a switched power relay, automotive 12v, from the battery and use the power signal from the wire harness for the on/off.
My biggest complaint is the daytime, I even used 20% tint to try to help, it's the same issue with any led. The trail tech is just as slow on the refresh. I have the tto, vapor, and stealth. All 3 are slow, just like the tach on the stealth and vapor. My neighbor has a Koso dash that is super fast and looks great but is a lot more than the trail tech, and is china made.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

I run both the westach analog and the trailteck guages and i could care less what the temps say, i love my perfect engine builds....
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
12gauge
Spree
Spree

Post by 12gauge »

The 44 dolor trail tech just orderd
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You guys need to read the Wiki more.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... nic_Meters

Trailtechs are fine as a daily gauge. If you're looking for something temporary / removable, there are lab-oriented bits you can get cheaper. Just tape them in place and remove when done tuning.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
12gauge
Spree
Spree

Post by 12gauge »

I found cheapies but I want one for everyday I go far and fast
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Thetrailtechs are cheapest from graphite on here. Super fast shipping and a great deal.
12gauge
Spree
Spree

Post by 12gauge »

Ididnt no he had them I got off ebay
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Interesting stuff gang :thumbwink:

The LED panel mount meter is well priced and as it appears, treekiller is often riding in the eve and night. LED's will shine well there. I do not have experience with the model treekiller has yet find them interesting to try at home - bread making, slow cooking, fryer temp etc. IDK LED's can get quite bright now days but IMHOthey need an ambient light sensor to automatically adjust. Thus check out out the meter capabilities and your needs as part of the fun.

-- TT interet
The Trail Tech temp only gauge is another item I'd like to sooner or later try. One thing to point out - both good and bad. It's sensor is thus far proprietary. While treekiller posts a nicely priced eBay "K type' thermocouple, far as I know the Trial Tech is using a different sensor technology.

Best part - you can extend the harness with about any wire in the house :2thumbs: A thermocouple sensor should with ideally with thermocouple wire or thermocouple extension wire, else inaccuracies will result. That can be substantial depending upon where the wire transition occurs. A severe error case would to splice in non-thrermocouple wires near engine heat.

Minor downside:
Right now only replacement sensor I know of is from TT. I've a side interest to find what the sensor is, and if you TT guys can fab their replacements at an even better cost. It's a bit of a 'nutcase' task as most have no issue with the relative low cost. In the end helps curious mice....

What's the best price you've found on the TT sensor? I see $24 at Treatland. A guy can make up a "K type' thermocouple for well under $10. Not serious bucks, yet enough mouse has fun fabbing up sensors and having a free lunch :D

Also I have a TT Vapor and will characterize the CHT sensor for off season fun. Far as I know the TT temp only sensor is same as the temp only gauge - anyone got input on the true story?