California title/registration ?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

TgyroX
BMX
BMX

California title/registration ?

Post by TgyroX »

Anyone have experience or knowledge in registering/titling imported scoots in Cali ? I've got this Gyro X to title and i assume i need to register it to ride it legally on the street. *, i don't even know what year it is. Was told it was an '84 but not sure if it was a machine ever imported to the US or not.

I've jumped thru the DMV hoops before when titling and registering my '78 CT70. Im not afraid of the DMV, but it helps to go in there guns loaded. (unfortunately not figuratively :D ) They jammed me up pretty good on the '78 because it didn't have an emission label. Talking to the DMV HQ in Sacramento they explained how back in the day not all machines came with emission labels and they realized that. That was the first year for the requirement, but it was not enforced. Long story short, it was easier to have a custom label made then to get the idiots to do their job.

Anyway.... what am in in for when i go there to get this thing VIN verified and inspected ?
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Re: California title/registration ?

Post by veedubh20 »

they gyro has 11th digit vin cant register after 1981...

1981 is 17th vin to register til now (this yrs)
nujee
Goped
Goped

Post by nujee »

I'm not sure what size the motor of your gyro but if its 49cc or less then you can register it. emission label is not required for year 2005 and below as long as your engine is less than 49cc or less. To make it easier, you have to contact Honda motorcycle dealer possibly in Japan and have them send you a letter with all the information about the bike you just have to give them the vin and they will the year, engine size etc on that letter that you will show to DMV when they do the inspection. My friend have done this, he has 2 Honda Motras from Japan and now in process to register his motocompo.

this is his build thread
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ilit=motra
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

veedubh20 wrote:they gyro has 11th digit vin cant register after 1981...

1981 is 17th vin to register til now (this yrs)
Can i ask were you got this info ? The next post contradicts this.
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

So register it as a 1980. What do you know? They say, is it really an 80? You say, I guess, that's what the guy said. What guy? Me. I say its an 80. Even if I'm wrong, I'm right.
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

:thumbsup: I hear that
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

Found this link tonite. Seems like it might be useful info. http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/How_to_Re ... California
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

I guess i need to figure out if i want to register it as a moped or a scooter. May not be able to register as a scooter since it has 3 wheels.
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

The X would have to be registered as a "motor driven cycle"

*A motor-driven cycle has 149cc or less engine size. CVC §405
*A motor-driven cycle has to be registered and the driver must have a motorcycle license (M1).

Not a moped since it does not have "pedals"
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I'll trade ya for a 1984 Gyro that's already registered
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

nah, i'm working on the registration for this one now. should be done (if everything goes as planned) within a couple weeks.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

If you ever change your mind let me know

Here's a couple pics of said gyro

TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

Great news ! Finally got my plates and registration today. Title in the mail in a few weeks !!!

After paying the local PD to do a VIN verification, (REG31) i took my statement of facts page, request form for change of ownership, to the DMV a few weeks ago. Had everything in order, but they didn't like the PD's VIN verification and also wanted form REG124 "Application for assigned VIN plate" and kicked me to CHP. CHP had no problem verifying my #'s as they know what bastards the DMV can be. Finally got back to the DMV today and turned in all my papers. Paid my $92 and left a happy man with plates and reg. in had. :woot:

Now i can continue with getting the X up and running properly, and focus on the electrical and get it on the road for real. Thanks for the tips fellas. :thumbwink:
nujee
Goped
Goped

Post by nujee »

very nice! congrats! Its a great feeling to win the battle against ca dmv.