New Guy

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

ghack
Noob
Noob

New Guy

Post by ghack »

Hello everyone,
Thanks for taking a look at this. I am new to scoots. I rode a honda 50cc dirtbike for about 5 minutes a few months back and ever since I have wanted to get a scooter. My problem is that I don't really want to have to mix in oil. So I guess I'm looking at a four stroke. But I really like the look of the spree, and I like that fact that there's usually at least one for sale at about $500 around here (SW Portland, OR). So what I'm getting at is, anyone have a good idea on what should be my first step? I need something reliable, fairly easy to operate, and that's about it. Thanks for any help.
ghack
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

well if the spree bodystyle and around 30mph speeds suits you then you have a match. what is your price range and what option are you looking at?
projects galore :nerd:
ghack
Noob
Noob

Post by ghack »

I wasn't aware that the spree was a four stroke. My range is up to around $800. And my only qualification is auto trans, so I figure just about any good scoot will do.
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

The honda spree is a 2 stroke meaning you dont have to mix the oil. it mixes it for you. In west mi area we can get em for 3-450 here..so out west expect to pay a little more.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

do u know what would be really cool if honda started to make the spree again but with a dio allready on it or even just a cvt trans do u know how many that they would sell i know for d*** sure i would buy one.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

well then if i were you i would get an elite of a aero, an aero has the same general body style, acually, it just looks like a big spree to me, but it has a better engine that will own any spree, hp parts are availible for it, and its bigger. you can get one going around 50.
ghack
Noob
Noob

Post by ghack »

Wait, so its a two stroke that you don't have to mix oil in? How does that work? And 50 is a little faster than I need, but thanks for the info.
-aL-
Elite
Elite

Post by -aL- »

oil is injected into the carb... theres an oil tank.. fill it up and go...
Ridin' Dirty on one of my 1989 Honda Elite E's
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

yea, and you can get then going that fast, aeros... sprees ur lucky with 35... and ur accel... will not exist
ghack
Noob
Noob

Post by ghack »

cool. so that sounds good then. thanks for all the replies. now the only thing left is for me to get one and learn how to ride it.
2strokerAce
BMX
BMX

Post by 2strokerAce »

ghack,

2-stroke engines do not, by default, require mixing oil into the gas. As -aL- notes, many scooters (incl. Spree, Elite, Express) use an oil pump to inject the gas into the carb. So in essence, injection lubricates the same way that premix does...just more convenient.
<b>Scooter: 1989 Honda Elite E
Moped: 1978 Batavus Starflite HS-50
Noped: 1978 Honda Express NC50
Noped: 1982 Honda Express NC50
Wanted: 198x Honda Spree</b>
jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

ghack wrote:cool. so that sounds good then. thanks for all the replies. now the only thing left is for me to get one and learn how to ride it.
It rides like a kids bike but without the pedels. A little faster though.

Seriously though, if you can ride a bike, you can ride a Spree
ghack
Noob
Noob

Post by ghack »

awesome. you guys rock. very informative. I'm psyched to get one now. and I just remembered that I live like a mile from a motorcycle maintenance shop, so my girlfriend won't be able to say "what happens if it stops working?". suuuwheeeeet. and only $100 a year for insurance! if only I didn't live 13 miles from work. I wouldn't even need a car. but I do love my crx.
myhonda
Elite
Elite

Post by myhonda »

u can ride it to work i used to ride like 200 somtimes 300 miles a day. it just takes a bit longer.
ghack
Noob
Noob

Post by ghack »

yeah, if Portland were layed out different I could. but I live in the SW area. which is all bedroom community suburbs. so 10 of the 13 miles are all freeway. its crazy, way different than most of the east coast. its a pretty good size city, but everyone lives further out, and there's no good way to get into the city without the freeway. but I'm still excited to get one.