I feel sorry for vespa owners :(

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

islandbayy
Elite
Elite

I feel sorry for vespa owners :(

Post by islandbayy »

I was driving to work this morning, with my usual 40lbs sack of laundry (towwels) on the basket of my Elite 50, my 20lbs backpack on, and a 12 pack of cola in my storage compartment, along with my 170lbs * :P

So anywho, driving along at the speed limit (I was doing about 33 in 30mph zone), some Vespa owner blows past me doing about 38-40. It was a rather large Vespa, I guessed it to be about 100-150cc.

So anyways, he just gunning it, slams on breaks at red light, and I of cource just putt putt along, and meet up at the red light. Light turns green, he guns it again, right up to the next red light, again, I just putt putt, and get their just before it turns green. Now, repeat this about 8 times, at 8 lights :P

Finally, at a stop just before the bridge over the Milwaukee River where they stopped traffic so the bridge could raise and let a oversized boat go through, i pull up, and nicely ask if it was a 100cc bike, he smugly says it's 150cc. He asks me what mine is, i said a 50 cc.
Smugly he starts boasing about his vespa, how it's the best smoothest ride, most reliable etc...

Heres where the fun starts ^_^

He says I should get a vespa, and get rid of my crappy honda (oh boy, he's askin for it :D )
I said I cant afford 5k for a scooter, I can get a car for that much. He then says he didnt pay 5k, he only paid $4,700. I said I paid $1000 for mine, brand new, 10 years ago. He's like, Wow, it's that old and still running?
I'm like, yep. I ask him what kind of maintance he's done to the bike, and if he's had any breakdowns. He said he got it beginning of the summer, has a few engine problems, overheating, bogging down, problem with front break, but nothing thats not expected. I say how many miles on it, he says about 500... I ask about mileage, he gets about 80mpg he said.

I say mines got 5,000 miles, has never gone in for maintance until 2 weeks ago for new tires, because I picked up a nail :( and figured while I was at it, i would do some preventive maintance, so I changed the belt and weights which was a 35 minute project.

I sewear it, his jaw dropped! And he went bug eyed. I could tell he was swearing under his breath!

Next part is the really funny part :D This is where my initial description of all the things I was carrying (weight wise) on my lil ol' 50cc scoot :D

This dude, was probially about 180lbs, had NO cargo on his Vespa at ALL.

So, trying to reclaim some of his lost manhood for his stupidity of spending (after tax and crap, probially did pay about 5k for his) he says nice meeting you, and starts revving his scoot up, waiting for the go ahead and drawbridge to close so we can go accross.

So, finally to the funny part....
Light is green to go, he floors it (figertivly), i figure what the *, and I floor mine (also figertivly, as we dont have peddels, just twist throttles),

I kept pase with him all the way to the next light :D With me new tires, belt, weights, and my now completly scrubbed carb (I didnt tell him that I cleaned the carb 2 hehehe) I managed to bury my needle on my spedo quite quickly.

I pull up, he looks at me, face all red, herd him Mutter the word "*", and he cut in front of me and made a right turn and took off.

Well, that is my exciting story of the week!
Anyone else have one?
Owner of K-Man Auto, Scooters, & Electric Cars
Home of Wisconsin's First Street Legal DOT Licensed Electric Cars!
http://KmanScooters.com
http://MilwaukeeEV.com
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

yea! i met this ficking hott * girl, shes my best freinds cousin. and i think i might have a chance.... becuase she likes mopeds!
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

Keep it in the family!! Way to go!! I mean i know its not in the family so to speak but still....
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

like i swear like model hott!
ashymonster
Noob
Noob

Post by ashymonster »

Right on man, I totally hear you on the investment. My Elite even with upgrades was far less than my girlfriends Stella (Vespa 150PX Old School). My 72cc's are quick but, Stella is sturdy. I drove her on the highway in Detroit for a few miles. I just wouldn't feel right out there on the Elite.
"It's more fun to go fast on something slow than it is to go slow on something fast."
Spreewell
Spree
Spree

Post by Spreewell »

slowaero
Goped
Goped

Post by slowaero »

I'm happy to see lots of new $3000 Italian scooters and $2000
Japanese ones with the fuel price crunch as these are the ones most likely to be put away in the garage with 300-600 miles on them when prices go lower or winter comes so I have them to choose from in another 3-5 years.

I almost waited for the winter /lower gas price period to look but the first
50cc scooter I looked at was a 1987 Aero that was stored for the last 6 years with under 1000 miles and looked showroom. They wanted $400 so I bought it a drove off since I wanted a 2 stroke anyway. I still have not been able to get more than $2 of gas in it.
jke
Noob
Noob

dont feel too bad...

Post by jke »

I have a 200gt thats a riot to ride, it will beat my sportster up to 50mph.overpriced? h#ll yes, would I buy again? h#ll yes.

01 vin0
04 200gt
05 tgb laser 50
06 daelim cordi
long gone but not forgotten.. 83 aero 80
Last edited by jke on Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe
01 vin0
04 200gt Sold
05 tgb laser 50
06 daelim cordi
09 kymco sting
long gone but not forgotten.. 83 aero 80
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

thats funny...