which oil has that great 2 stroke smell ?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dan Diego
Noob
Noob

which oil has that great 2 stroke smell ?

Post by Dan Diego »

I was at the kart track today and I was reminded that all two stroke oils are not created equal.

Does anybody know what brand of oil has that distinctive and wonderful two stroke smell?

I know race karts run pre-mix... is that great smelling oil available for injected applications?

What is the difference between pre-mix oil vs injector oil?

thanks !!
Attachments
aero 1 rsz.jpg
aero 1 rsz.jpg (239.14 KiB) Viewed 11302 times
1986 Honda Aero 50
1993 Kawasaki KLR650

other little 2 strokes gone but not forgotten:
1988 Yamaha Razz 50
1980 Yamaha Yamahopper QT50G
1980 Yamaha YZ100G
1988 Yamaha DT50LC
1975 Yamaha GT80MX
various Yamaha PW80's and PW50's
motormike

Re: which oil has that great 2 stroke smell ?

Post by motormike »

That aroma you seek is most likely from the Castor bean varieties.
That seems to be the general concensus.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
cruzingratiot
Elite
Elite
Location: Detroit michigan , 2000 Purple elite s ,2001 Black elite s ,

Post by cruzingratiot »

I run Klotz R50
and it has a very distinct smell

technical data sheets

Klotz r50
http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp? ... bmit2=View

Klotz super TechniPlate with 20% BēNOL® Racing Castor Oil
http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp? ... bmit2=View
Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.donatelife.net/
Thank You

My 2000 Mystic Purple Elite Build
LINK -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27850
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I run castor 927. Smells delicious :)
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I run iPone snowmobile injector oil in every two stroke I have. Smells like strawberry candy. I buy it in a 4 litre jug.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Klotz - It's the shizz!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

great smell is defined personally by each individual
the distinct 'two stroke' smell is probably from the castor mixes (mentioned previously by Motormike)
I personally would love to try that strawberry smelling one. :)
I started with the Maxima Super M but had to switch to another because of the limited availability locally (I couldn't find it anymore since the shop I bought it from closed down; owner retired). I'm currently running the Maxima Castor927 but am going back to Amsoil Dominator with my next purchase. I like the way my moped ran with it and it's fairly priced.
treekiller
BMX
BMX

Post by treekiller »

Blendzall Makes an Injector blended Castor oil, their part number is 455 and yes it smells delicious. http://www.amazon.com/Blendzall-Ultra-R ... B005UGGWJ2

I switch between this and good synthetic once every 4 tanks. (3 castor 1 Synthetic) since straight castor oil can make your exhaust ports gummy after a LONG time (but Honda does not use a boost valve so there is really nothing to gum up in a Honda exhaust), this is partly why it's such a good oil, it Polymerizes and creates a protective coating over the wear surfaces. the Detergents in the synthetic do remove the castor "wax" so I feel it can't hurt "washing out" the cylinder once in a while with Synthetic.

Maxima, klotz and others are "blends" of like 15-20% castor and synthetic. so while you still get the smell you don't get the protective "wax" layer. but the synthetic does offer different lubricating advantages. klotz beanoil is pure degummed castor, but premix only.

The other major advantage to Castor is it seeks out the hottest parts of the engine and is drawn to those areas, then "cooks" off taking the heat with it.

Don't inject Premix only oil. the oraifices in the injection pump are TINY, and a thick oil will not meter the proper amount, if you want to inject Castor, 455 is about it. I've never had a problem but some say that older mineral 2 stroke oils with "bright stock" could react with castor so I'd make sure to flush out your injection system if switching over with a dose of synthetic. once in the engine it does not matter.

another potential smell as much or if not more then the oil is the Teterethyl lead in racing gasolines. Present in much higher amounts in racing gas then even in "leaded gas" of yore. If you want cheap leaded gas any (non commercial) airport that sells "100LL" aviation fuel there is plenty of lead in that stuff and it has a beautiful scent, An added bonus is it's Stable for a long time since there is no ethanol in it, and because private planes often sit, it is blended to be so. It's like $5 a gallon, but That's all I burn in a week and I ride every day. so the extra $1 a week over ethanol free at the local marina does not bother me...

It's been argued up and down about any potential advantages/dangers of using leaded gas in 2 strokes, but I can't find any hard evidence either way... I do know that there are still 2 strokes running around from when leaded was the ONLY option.. leaded gas is good for 4 stroke engines because it lubricates the valve seats. but we have no valves, so if any lead is deposited on the wear surfaces, it's minimal and has little to no effect.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Here in Canada I pay $5 a gallon for reg gas at the pump. Can't imagine what they want for that av gas here lol. But it certainly sounds like great stuff though.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

Klotz Benol racing castor smells really good. 100% castor

I mostly run Klotz supertechniplate or maxima 927 in my bikes.
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

I have used the IPONE scoot city oil 2-stroke semi synthetic with strawberry smell.
for oil injected scoots. smells great.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I use maxima 927 for premix, not for injection tho. I use belray injection oil on my piaggio and new elite.
The thing about any castor type of oil is it will leave some residue on the piston crown and exhaust port. If your like me and take your top end apart regularly it's ok because you're taking it apart. Also engines that run castor style are not the best to be sitting around for long periods with out running. The rings tend to stick a little. They will unstick once its running but you will have a little before that happens. It can lead to hard starts.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

You can always add scents to the oil with additives also. I've never ran it but I've been behind the grape and cherry riders.
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

LoveMyHonda wrote:I use maxima 927 for premix, not for injection tho. I use belray injection oil on my piaggio and new elite.
The thing about any castor type of oil is it will leave some residue on the piston crown and exhaust port. If your like me and take your top end apart regularly it's ok because you're taking it apart. Also engines that run castor style are not the best to be sitting around for long periods with out running. The rings tend to stick a little. They will unstick once its running but you will have a little before that happens. It can lead to hard starts.
Ya I hear ya on the carbon buildup. Ive run the Benol on several machines with good luck. Didnt seem to have excessive carbon build up.

"Clean BurnÔäó Technology reduces carbon and residue build-up
De-gummed formula reduces ring sticking"

But I stopped using it on my motors that turn 10k + rpm cause the tech sheet for the benol says its only good up to 10k RPM For what ever reason.

Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Klotz! R50 for my NS50F; and Super Techniplate added to my four-stroke R/C engines to bring up oil content. Klotz smells so great; it always brings back happy memories of my childhood!

"Red and Racy" scent!

-jc :smile:
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F