Just bought a 1986 Spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Old_kid
Noob
Noob

Just bought a 1986 Spree

Post by Old_kid »

Hello, I just lpicked up a 1986 Spree for $50.00 It was in a neighbors garage for the past 10 years or so, and he put it out on the street because there was a garage sale across the street and he wanted to get rid of it and thought the traffic from the garages sale would help. Well I had to go look at it. I saw he wanted $50.00 for it and thought to myself hmmm. For $50 bux I'd be a d*** idiot not to buy it running or not. The Battery was dead but it kicked over first kick. It was bogging while under load. Ran fine while up on the kick stand. He had a clean title and two keys and only 1303 miles on it. I was stoked but only had $20 bux on me, so I had to borrow 30 bux from my daughters boyfriend so i could get this before anyone else saw it. I read through a ton of posts and determined I should Clean, Clean , clean and inspect. I took off the panels and low and behold I found that the air box cover was missing. So i cut a peice of cardboard for a temp fix and wala it no longer bogged. I got it to 28 mph, and no smoke even on the old gas and oil. This thing looked to be garage kept as there is no rust only dust on it. I am going to clean the carb, drain the fluids, replace the plug today. It needs a battery but that can wait. I am really stoked about this thing. I want to clean it up a bit and I will post some pix when I clean it up. So i need a air box cover and filter. If anyone has them please contact me as soon as you can. i would like to ride this thing for the rest of the summer and that is only a couple more months.
Thank you all for your great posts and I will be here a lot as i fix everything by myself and will be maintaining this for years to come I am sure.
1986 Honda Spree
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

Gimmie your address so i can come over and shoot you and steal your spree. Great find!
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
Old_kid
Noob
Noob

Post by Old_kid »

Yeah, Im sure Im gonna get alot of that. My daughters are bugging me to get it done so they can ride too.
1986 Honda Spree
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

nice find..
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

thats a pretty good find for elgin, you dont see older honda scooters around elgin very often.
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
Old_kid
Noob
Noob

Post by Old_kid »

Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised. Where about in Elgin are you? and do you ride much around town.
1986 Honda Spree
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

im on the east side, right by lords park. havent got to ride mine very much. i bought it a couple months ago and finally started working on it and replaced the belt, clutch and a few other things. i rode it around for a few days like that then decided to check compression and it was pretty low. so now im waiting for my parts to arrive on wednesday. then hopefully it will be running wednesday night. i know 2 other people with sprees in elgin too. where are you located in elgin?
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
Old_kid
Noob
Noob

Post by Old_kid »

Well, actually I just moved from the east side to the west side after 14 years there. I used to live at 25 and summit. My kids all went to Lord's park elementary school. I Live by Highland and Lyle. Well I ddint get to do the maintainence on the spree yesterday, have a nasty cold. So my son and i will be doing in this evening. I still have to register and get insurance. So hopefully I can get this thing on the road. Its funny I took it up and down my street a couple times and people are hoopin and hollarin.
1986 Honda Spree
Nighttrain ex
Noob
Noob

Post by Nighttrain ex »

Try www.bikebandit.com...They have been Extremely helpful and have everything down to the kick stand bolt.
Old_kid
Noob
Noob

PIX of the spree that i got for a song!

Post by Old_kid »

I cleaned the carb, fluids drained, new plug. cleaned it up a bit. here are some pictures.

It has some scuffs and a couple cracks on the plastic, but otherwise is in really good shape.Overall really clean. Got it to about 30mph but I think when I get the airbox cover and adjust it a bit i could get a couple more mph.
1986 Honda Spree
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

really lucky and nice find, a steal at that price
speedyspree
BMX
BMX

Post by speedyspree »

good find
85 spree honda cb 125 and 2 pocket bikes(for sale)