My Spree will outrun yours...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Jamie_Miles
Goped
Goped

My Spree will outrun yours...

Post by Jamie_Miles »

Been digging through my shed for spare parts. Pieced this together in 15 minutes. http://www.5hp.hill.cc/spree/

Still in the mock up stages, fabrication on the engine mounts, etc. will start tomarrow. The engine will go where your feet used to go, I may have to extend the frame a few inches. The engine used to be on a gokart and is built - Wiseco piston, ported intake with aftermarket reeds, shaved head, larger Mikuni carb.

The Spree frame will require alot of extra braceing here and there to stand up to the power.
Last edited by Jamie_Miles on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comeing soon: Possibly the fastest Spree in the world...
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

what the * thats tight..
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
Jamie_Miles
Goped
Goped

Post by Jamie_Miles »

Yea I figgure it should be pretty fast. :twisted:

Today I relocated the mount for the swing arm higher up. I had to do that to clear the chain. I also got started on the engine mounts and have the rear one welded in. I should have it running this weekend, rideing sometime next week. The exaust is going to be a real b**** though.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

holly s***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when its done i dare you to put the sidepanels on it
myhonda
Elite
Elite

Post by myhonda »

u gotts post pics of how u do this as u go along. i got an old spree flame i could throgh the old fast track engine on.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

watch your speeds above 65mph. The spree stock end does not do well on high speeds and becomes very wobbly. Got sprees in hawaii well into the 70's.
myhonda
Elite
Elite

Post by myhonda »

how do ya make it not woble at high speeds?
Jamie_Miles
Goped
Goped

Post by Jamie_Miles »

As for step by step, I'm so far into fabrication now that it's a little late. When I finish it, I can provide an outline of modifications I did to the frame and a list of parts I used. A good bit of welding is required, and the welds themselves are absolutely critical to keeping the bike in one piece, so if you can't weld, hang it up.

I added some updated pics to the link. The swing arm mount is the stock mount that the Spree engine mounted to, I just cut it off (not an easy task!) and relocated it further up. You can tell it's not the strongest thing in the world, I am going to box it in with 1/4 steel plate (same as the engine mount is made from), and then add a support from the bottom of it down to the frame where the mount used to be. Also, I am going to totally get rid of the stock shock mounting point and run a rod straight through the frame at that point and weld it in so that I can mount a shock on either side.
Last edited by Jamie_Miles on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jamie_Miles
Goped
Goped

Post by Jamie_Miles »

Would anyone like to donate a clean gas tank to the cause? I thought I had one, but can't find it anywhere... :(
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

use a gas can lol. the sprees 1/2 gallon wont last very long with that engine on it.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

only two that i heard of has done a fulll disc front end conversion on a spree. It can probably be done with a japan triple but would have to be cut for the spree neck. As for the legs either taiean or japan dio legs will do.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

here is one by one of the users with the disc being installed

hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

here is another drag spree(eve)
Jamie_Miles
Goped
Goped

Post by Jamie_Miles »

Wow, that's awesome. *, I would entertain the idea of makeing it street legal if I could get my hands on a front end like that.

The Spree's stock gas tank should be sufficient for what I will use the bike for. Not only that, but as you all know, a gas tank is required to mount the seat. There really isn't anywhere to put a bigger tank on the bike.

After thinking long and hard about it, I have decided to scrap the rear swing arm mount and fab something stronger up. I just don't trust that flimsy Spree mount, and even after braceing it up, it appears it would still be prone to twisting or cracking. With the kind of power this thing will be putting to the ground, there's no point in takeing a short cut with trying to reuse the stock mount back there. I will fab something up out of square tubeing and 1/4' steel plate. The hardest part will be getting the swing arm aligned correctly. The swing arm has to be mounted about an inch to the left of the center line of the frame in order for the rear wheel to track straight with the front wheel. There will be alot of measureing, cutting and welding on that rear mount, that's for sure. This will also allow me to move the entire swing arm up closer to the frame so that the chain won't have to be as long and the shocks will work a little better. The downside is it will make it just that much easier for it to pull up into a wheelie under heavy acceleration.

Work on the bike has stopped until next Thursday. We had a death in the family yesterday and I have to travel to Indianapolis for the funeral. Blah, I hate funerals. :? Work will resume as soon as I get back! :)
se50
Spree
Spree

Post by se50 »

Need a Suzy TS250 pipe? I've got a real nice one in my shed. Repainted flat high temp black, chrome heat guard in real nice shape. If you need it, make me an offer on it. Tip is a little banged up on it.
1982 Volkswagen Rabbit 4dr 1.6l diesel (5 speed)
1987 Honda Elite SE50p with drilled out main jet, shaved head, UNI filter
1985 Kawasaki Bayou 185 ATV
1984 Yamaha IT200 enduro
1974 Piaggio/Vespa Ciao moped, pocketbike exhaust.