Malossi Big Bore kit for a nb50 needed!!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

ldblac808
Noob
Noob

Malossi Big Bore kit for a nb50 needed!!

Post by ldblac808 »

I have a 1986 Aero 50, after it broke down we took the head apart to clean everything up. Put new piston rings on, and all other parts were replaces as well. Reinstalled everything. Only to find we were losing 30psi. Compression was reading 60. Our thought is now the cylinder is larger than the piston and rings??? We search for a Malossi Big Bore kit with the head. Only to come up short.
With this a few questions came to mind.. Do I need to replace the stock head? Do I need to replace the carb? Do I need to replace the exhaust?
bonesv

Re: Malossi Big Bore kit for a nb50 needed!!

Post by bonesv »

Did you start it up yet?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

ldblac808 wrote:I have a 1986 Aero 50, after it broke down we took the head apart to clean everything up. Put new piston rings on, and all other parts were replaces as well. Reinstalled everything. Only to find we were losing 30psi. Compression was reading 60. Our thought is now the cylinder is larger than the piston and rings??? We search for a Malossi Big Bore kit with the head. Only to come up short.
With this a few questions came to mind.. Do I need to replace the stock head? Do I need to replace the carb? Do I need to replace the exhaust?
Ok. Yea, you can't just put new parts on an old cylinder and go. You should do some reading up if you're going to run a bbk and, just so you don't spend that money twice, take my advice......
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
ldblac808
Noob
Noob

Post by ldblac808 »

Thank you guys for your replies.
First, yes I did start it up. It was running prior. I did notice it was running rich. Ran for a few days, then just quit. I did notice also the gas adjustment on the carb was almost completely adjusted out. So, when it died, we did a compression test and it came in at 60psi. So we figured to take it apart check the cylinder, piston and rings. Cylinder looked good, no deep groves. Had it honed. Cleaned all the carbon off the piston and behind the rings. New gaskets, sir clips??spelling. Put it all back together tried starting, nothing. Did another compression test, still 60psi. My thought are the cylinder has worn, it's the original. And instead of finding a used top end and possibly having the same problem. Why not start with new parts? And keep building on that? Eventually a new carb, exhaust, variator, rollers, belt, and clutch.
What do you guys recommend?
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

measure the ring end gap that will tell you if you honed the bore beyond service limits .The bbk will need larger jets and some tuning to get it to run correctly.If you just bolt on and go it wont last very long .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Compression test is done with the throttle wide open. See what you got then.
What year is your Aero?
The manual and other info is here: http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

ldblac808
Noob
Noob

Post by ldblac808 »

Hey guys, thank you again for your replies!!! Yes, I did try it with the throttle open. And getting the appropriate jets makes sense. Thank you. I'm looking at getting the Malossi for the quality.
ldblac808
Noob
Noob

Post by ldblac808 »

Also it's an 1986
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

Yes go with the malossi, and you will be able to get jets from honda. Or just a lot so you have lots. I would just run it with the stock pipe and carb at first to brake it in then start looking into those. Graphite is gonna have some sweet pipes coming soon I think :)

Hey Brandon can you get the malossi kit with head for this guy, and prolly a set of stock carb jets.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

You can go with the bore that over heats due to the metal shroud, also the gear ratio is limited, I bought the last 5 sets of malossi gearsets for the mb50, price is high for 66mph.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
ldblac808
Noob
Noob

Post by ldblac808 »

Sorry man, am I missing something? Or is that a type o in your response? It's a NB50 correct?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

ldblac808 wrote:Sorry man, am I missing something? Or is that a type o in your response? It's a NB50 correct?
Yes, you are correct, the Aero50 is an NB50. He's talking through a swami when he's on here.......
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

ldblac808
Noob
Noob

Post by ldblac808 »

Sounds awesome!!! I did see a kit for $139, without the head. The head was an additional $65. How long will it take to ship from you? Also either I shop for the jets or I get those from you as well. It seems like a smart ideal to get the 3 sizes of jets. Is this correct?
ldblac808
Noob
Noob

Post by ldblac808 »

On the jets, is your kit 80 to 100? If you can suggest anything that may help? I'm going run a stock carb and stock unrestricted exhaust. Also how do I place the order from you?
ldblac808
Noob
Noob

Post by ldblac808 »

Guys, thank you so much for all of you help!!! I really appreciate everything. I can not order anything until Thursday, doggie has to go for surgery. But I we get the kit a the jets. Thank you again! And we will post some photo's and video when she's up and going.