New CDIs

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dakine
Elite
Elite

New CDIs

Post by Dakine »

So I was wondering if you guys have tried the Malossi CDi, NCY,or Stage6 CDIs? Do you guys notice a difference than the regular stock one that comes with your bike/wireharness? Or what about the Old Blue so called "Racing CDI"?

I just want to know if there is a noticeable difference in what they're actually supposed to do.. Apparently some are basically a Rev limiter, and these new/actually been here for awhile but none of us noticed CDIs are actually better, and worth the 100+$
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Re: New CDIs

Post by Johnniespeed »

I built a dual CDI system to compare the different CDI's that were readily available at that time, here is a link to that project. http://motorscooterguide.net/Forum/view ... ion#p17553
The blue racing CDI was much worse than stock, don't spend a dime on that piece of crap, I still have that piece of garbage. The popular false rumor is that the stock CDI has a rev limiter, I am sure somewhere there is one, but I have not found any with rev limiters.
The difference is in the timing map, the advance/retard curve at different RPM.
The 1984 Aero 50 still feels the best and really perks up Spree's Gyro's and Cub's.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

See thats what people said earlier when I Was looking at previous threads on here that people brought up the same subject or kinda. Some people said it wasnt a rev limiter, But on almost every CDI IT talks about changing your RPM limter and all of that stuff lol.

What do you mean by the racing CDI is much worse then stock? What exactly is worse about it?

Thanks for chiming in bud. I also think its rediuclous cause theres alot of people on ebay like jiangwayne who is still selling that and he says ALOT of them
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

The Only "Racing CDI i actually ever tried that felt like it made a difference on my bike was the Daytona CDI. IM not really sure how to explain it.. But for some reason the start up was great even with electric start, my voltage through the bike was stable. IDk maybe it was a placibo effect lol
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

If you click the link and read the text, I have explained the differences.
Once you read it , you will know what I found.

It would be wonderful if someone made a device that you could plug a CDI box into and read the timing map, maybe even print out the data. But as far as I know there is no such thing, and anyone who wants to sell a CDI box can make any ridiculous claim they want with no way to back up their claim, and for us there is no way to refute their claims.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

So basically most of the Racing CDIs are crap, the best was the aero one?

I think malossi actually had a graph for theres ill see if i can find it but theres actually had the curve to.

So you just say that stock CDI Is the way to go?

What about the NCY Direct Ignition Style Coil?
* Hotter Spark * Cleaner Burns=less smoke (especially 2T) * Quicker Acceleration * Higher Top-Speeds * Engine Eye-Candy -

Then theres the Malossi Immobilizer CDI

Time to wick up the spark, with malossi's adjustable rev limiter, and RPM cutoff toggle switch. Doesn't get any beter than this. Stronger spark, cleaner burn, and easier starting. The immobilizer can be used for theft, or limiting the RPM for novice riders.

and then malossi regular plug and play CDI

Simple, plug and play cdi. No adjustments, stock sized. This CDI provides stronger spark, and a more aggressive timing curve. More power, and more speed.

I think the first malossi one is about 120$ and the regular plug and play is 95$

Ill try to find more info on the daytona CDI
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

I've used them all. Malossi does not have an adjustable timing map or curve. None of them are adjustable until you get into stand alone ignitions. Minus the daytona with 3 maps that all are just ok.
Stage 6 and malossi are better than the daytona in my opinion. The daytona with 3 maps was tried and all 3 maps sucked compared to the malossi. The stage 6 feels better than a malossi in every aspect. Sooooo... stage 6, malossi, then naraku then daytona in terms of power for my trials. Daytona did not provide any more significant power compared to the others and it was more expensive than the rest.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Fwiw if you think you have a rev limiter try putting it on the stand and revving it. Not a single usdm honda cdi was restricted or governed. Jdm is.
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

LOL how can you say malossi doesnt have an adjustable or timing map? They posted that up for the description of the most expensive CDI.

Im not trying to argue with you at all im just stating that it was even in the description of that CDI lol.

And could you elaborate on what you mean by feeling smooth and more power? Your help is most likely going to make me make my decision on which cdi to get...

Also 1man I thought I read somewhere that the restriced versions of some honda bikes did have restriced CDIs? IS tatcompletely false information? and you really cant tell by just putting it on a stand and revving it lol.. I think you would need a good rpm gauge imo..
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Malossi has a curve but it is not adjustable. I have 7 malossi cdis, 2 are the ones with immobilzers. The adjustability of it is in respect to a rev limiter that is set on the back side of the cdi. It how ever does not adjust any timing map. Daytona is the only cdi with more than one (3) maps to choose from.
Stage 6 is great for high rpms if that's what your goal is. It's great all around. The malossi is a great choice but stage 6 just beats it out on every engine/bike I've put it on.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

The hondas that are restricted are over seas/jdm. Our restricted bikes /iowa/elite s is restricted from either variator ramp, exhaust pipe, or smaller main jets.
Kymco has restricted cdis, but not honda. When you rev a restricted bike on the stand you can clearly tell it is cutting spark.
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

1man8scoots wrote:I've used them all. Malossi does not have an adjustable timing map or curve. None of them are adjustable until you get into stand alone ignitions. Minus the daytona with 3 maps that all are just ok.
Stage 6 and malossi are better than the daytona in my opinion. The daytona with 3 maps was tried and all 3 maps sucked compared to the malossi. The stage 6 feels better than a malossi in every aspect. Sooooo... stage 6, malossi, then naraku then daytona in terms of power for my trials. Daytona did not provide any more significant power compared to the others and it was more expensive than the rest.
Do you have any info on the Chameleon RCDi adjustable cdi? Bad translation. I'm not sure if it has selectable preloaded curves, or if you can actually make adjustments.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

The chameleon is one of the cdi I would love to try. And one I'd recommend to get from Japan if he can.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Johnniespeed wrote:I built a dual CDI system to compare the different CDI's that were readily available at that time, here is a link to that project. http://motorscooterguide.net/Forum/view ... ion#p17553
The blue racing CDI was much worse than stock, don't spend a dime on that piece of crap, I still have that piece of garbage. The popular false rumor is that the stock CDI has a rev limiter, I am sure somewhere there is one, but I have not found any with rev limiters.
The difference is in the timing map, the advance/retard curve at different RPM.
The 1984 Aero 50 still feels the best and really perks up Spree's Gyro's and Cub's.
I think that the blue "Racing" cdi is for four strokes. I ordered one last year to try on my golf cart when I thought it had a bad cdi. I tried it on my af18 motor and it was nonsense. Then my landlord got one of those little dune buggy things with the 125cc Honda clone dirtbike motors. The cdi croaked. I put that blue cdi on it and it runs bettter than new.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

I have one of those Blue cdi's. I wasn't really able to notice any different either way between it and the oem.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~