What's the hottest cylinder temp you have had? *436 degF*

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

NZHonda
Spree
Spree

What's the hottest cylinder temp you have had? *436 degF*

Post by NZHonda »

As the title suggest. What is the hottest cylinder temperature you have had?

Recently I had 436F at wide open throttle for an extended period of time.

Malossi 72cc Cast BBK.

The problem being that I recently changed the throttle cable as it was very stiff and sticking in places. I believe that when the bike was tuned the throttle was not opening fully. It also made it hard to start the bike as the throttle was stuck partly open.

The fix was to tape over the holes that had been drilled in the air box. At the time when the bike was tuned (pre new throttle cable) it need more air so a series of holes were drilled in the bottom of the air box. By tapping up the holes it reduced the airflow and allowed me to keep riding. Interestingly the temps dropped down to 350F max. The scooter now needs a re-tune but is useable.

Needless to say I was getting pretty worried about destroying the engine but at this stage there seem to be no problems.

So what's the max temp you guys have had? Damage?

Does anyone know when these kits/any kits actually either seize up or start melting things?
Attachments
436F Scooter Temp.JPG
436F Scooter Temp.JPG (88.17 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
Honda AF28 Dio ZX - Malossi 72cc
Honda DJ1R project
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: What's the hottest cylinder temp you have had? *436 degF

Post by Meatball »

oops
Last edited by Meatball on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

Crazy temps! I let off on my Malossi cast kit at 400 degrees. But now that its broken in (1200 miles) I rarely ever see those temps. I can blast for miles and not go over 350.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Flash 4 had a 78cc (49mm) Nikasil bore from DayWOT. I pulled to a halt after a short off-throttle downhill and was SHOCKED to see 550 degrees on my analog VDO gauge. Although the temp quickly declined, I wondered if it was faulty. I realized I had a lot to learn about the important role of the Pilot jet - I believe I was using an Arreche 17.5 at the time with a 15 Pilot. The Nikasil cylinder was pretty tame in terms of performance, but it sure could take abuse. I ended up with a 30 Pilot if I recall correctly.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ya, I'm always revving the throttle a couple times when I decelerate or go off throttle. I don't have a gauge but I know it gets got sometimes... especially on them long straights goin 45+
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I have the malossi sport cast and I can blast around wot for as long as I want and my highest temp is 350. yesterday I rode at wot up a major hill that is atleast 2 miles long and steep and 45mph road so I blast it and my temp only got to 344 with a top speed of 45. and run the * out of this bore and have yet to see anything above 350. thats with a 24mm polini carb with a 102 mj. not sure where the ceiling is temp wise on the bore but it shouldnt get to 400. my corsa that I was trying to blow up I ran it up to 450 for a very long time and that was with a broken exhaust stud and the d*** thing still ran great after.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY