Elite, should I get it? Help me decide

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Elite, should I get it? Help me decide

Post by burnt_toast »

Well first off, I already have two scoots (in sig), but lately I've been thinking about taking on another project.

A while back I posted saying a local shop had some elites. I finally went and checked out the last one, hoping it was a dio. It wasn't, but close its an '87 Elite SE50. On the outside its kinda beatup, with broken turns and scaffed body panels, but the engine only has like 600miles on it and we were able to start it up and run it to like 40mph. The owner who's pretty cool told me he'd sell it to me for $400 as a parts bike so I can title/register it myself. Does that sound like a good deal?

its the one on the right:

Finally since this would be a project bike, what all is available for the SE50? I see 2 bore kits on vtcycles and a decent looking "ghost" exhaust, but is there anything better like there is for the dio? What exactly is the difference between this engine and the dio? :?:

And for those with modded SE50 elites, what kind of speeds are you getting?

Any suggestions and advice would help me out. It would be like having a spree again, but tunable, faster and legal! :D
projects galore :nerd:
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

well darat went 55 on his, but the engines are different, diff ports, the whole engine is smaller. but yea, GET IT
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

heck yea! get it and sell it to me. lol. i have one of those engines on my 84 spree. those engines are good. not as good as the dio though. 8)
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

chevyguyjay wrote:heck yea! get it and sell it to me. lol. i have one of those engines on my 84 spree. those engines are good. not as good as the dio though. 8)
see i want it good enough to be able to push like 55-60mph with bore, exhaust and bigger carb. if not I won't get it.
projects galore :nerd:
xela_p2004
Spree
Spree

Post by xela_p2004 »

I got all that on my Aero, bore kit, bigger carb, exhaust and that thing hauls *! Havent ran it WOT yet because the engine isnt broken in yet. But if you get a bore kit, definiataly get a aftermarket carb since they have better tunning potentinal.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

if you can reach NS on the speedometer it is suppose to be pretty good on an elite 87
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:if you can reach NS on the speedometer it is suppose to be pretty good on an elite 87
There were malossi gears but they are hard to impossible to get. You can use the dio gears but will habvge to cut the smaller of the front gears but it can be done.
xela_p2004
Spree
Spree

Post by xela_p2004 »

Do you have the procedure in more detail?