Trimming the fleet

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Trimming the fleet

Post by vintagegarage »

I am out of room for taking on any new scooter restorations, and so I need to trim the existing fleet of 26. I decided to sell "Old Red", my 1983 Red Aero. I hadn't run it in a month, and I rolled it outside, and hit the starter button. It fired on the first revolution, and went to a perfect idle on the bystarter circuit. I rode it up to the front driveway and took photos of it for my craigslist ad that I was going to post tonight. Then I took it for it's final ride. It ran so well, and had more "zip" than it ever had. When I got home, I was still grinning ear to ear about how much fun it was, so I decided not to sell it.

I decided that if I sell my Tracker bass boat, that will open up space for a few more scooters.. that is tomorrow's project.

My oldest scooter is an Express SR that I bought not running and with many missing parts, for about $150 if I remember right. I spent a couple of years sourcing and buying all the missing parts, and it came out pretty nice. It has an original mechanical bystarter system, and I managed to find an NOS bi-metallic bystarter valve, and all the correctly numbered hoses. I also found all the rare carb cover and air box parts and new headlight bulb. I think I spent more than $1,000 on that scooter, including a slight overbore to fit the only new Honda NOS piston for it that I could find, and it runs well and looks pretty good. It is probably worth about $200 now, but I won't sell it. I'd like to give it away to a good home. If I remember right, patthesoundguy was planning to winter in Florida this year? He can have it if he comes by the shop and takes it with him. It comes with a clear Florida title in my name, new tires, new battery, and full tanks of oil and gasoline.

motormike

Re: Trimming the fleet

Post by motormike »

You GO Vaughn. <3
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I sure love the offer of that sweet Express. It warms my heart. Unfortunately I can't make it to Florida. But I do have friends who do head down there...
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Patthesoundguy.. Drat.. I thought you were coming to to Florida.. Is that scooter in your avatar a 1983-84 Aero 50, and is that the scooter that your landlord sold?