87 NQ50 oil pump question

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Narddog
Noob
Noob

87 NQ50 oil pump question

Post by Narddog »

Hello everyone, I’m new here so excuse me if I make any mistakes on formatting.

I recently bought two 87 Honda sprees, the PO was running them both with premix. One of the oil tanks has oil on it and I believe might be pumping oil, though I’m not sure how much it’s supposed to be pumping. The other oil tank is completely dry. Now everything is still connected on both scooters, so it doesn’t look like they did anything but decide they wanted to premix. (Or maybe they never knew they weren’t supposed to?) My really question is, if the oil pump on the scooter with the dry tank is seized, would the engine even run? If yes then how would I know if it is seized?
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Re: 87 NQ50 oil pump question

Post by Cubey »

A 2 stroke will run on gas without oil....for a short time before seizing. If you aren't sure if the oil pump is working, premix. At least until you confirm the oil pump is working. You're better off over oiled than under oiled. Yeah it will smoke a ton but you can shut it off and drain the fuel tank to correct that. Then just dilute the premix with pure gas to reduce the premix if you want to run it with oil injection. That's easier then rebuilding the top end from a trashed engine.

I had a Spree years ago that had a working oil pump when I got it. I always used Honda GN2 oil. Mever a problem with it. From what I remember, some people here were of the opinion that I should have just premixed and not trusted the oil pump. Worked fine for me.

I bought a project Gyro yesterday that was sitting outside for who knows how any years under trees, so I will need to premix when I finally get it cleaned up enough that I can try to start it. The oil tank is dry as can be, so it's possible someone ran it without oil and seized it, which is why it was abandoned on the land the guy bought. Or it could be they were premixing. I won't know until I get to the stage of trying to start it.

It's been so long that I can't remember about Sprees, but the Gyro has a mechanical oil pump on the engine and it has an adjustment screw for the oil output.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.