‘85 Spree - no power issue

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

‘85 Spree - no power issue

Post by Rideslikenacho »

Have an ‘85 Spree with no power getting to it. Battery is dead for sure so hooked jumpers up to my truck and would expect to see at the least rear light, blinkers, and horn plus starter engage but I get zero power to them. Checked the red wire to fuse, fuse, red wire from fuse to front, red wire from battery to front and all check out. Pulled kill switch and that has continuity between red and black/white so that is good. Starter switch has continuity between green and yellow/red stripe when button is depressed so that is good. Ignition switch has continuity so it is good.

Only thing else I have noticed is bad green wiring (exposed wire) coming off negative battery terminal going back into wiring loom. Could this be it?
Last edited by Rideslikenacho on Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
motormike

Re: ‘85 Spree - no power issue

Post by motormike »

Rideslikenacho wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:40 pm
Only thing else I have noticed is bad green wiring (exposed wire) coming off negative battery terminal going back into wiring loom. Could this be it?
Yes, that green wire is the main conductor for the grounding side of the system.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

motormike wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:26 pm
Rideslikenacho wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:40 pm
Yes, that green wire is the main conductor for the grounding side of the system.
Thanks, I’ll rewire those next. Aside from that, everything else on this one is bone stock and from what I can tell never been opened. So was a little surprised to see it get no power at all.
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

‘Suspect’ wires in image, also it looks corroded. Assuming this is causing grounding issues so no power is going through. If anyone knows the correct gauge of that wire would be great.