85 spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

maineguide
Noob
Noob

85 spree

Post by maineguide »

I have dragged my 1985 spree out of the back of the barn and would like to get it running. I am so glad to find some possible help here. It ran fine 20 years ago. It only has 425 miles on it. I am not a hotshot with things like this but I'm not a total novice. I'm thinking I need to clean out the old gas , get a new battery and spark plug and perhaps replace the carb. Any other things to try to get this running.? Thanks
motormike

Re: 85 spree

Post by motormike »

I strongly advise against buying a Chinese replacement carburetor.
In nearly ALL cases, the original carb can be cleaned and will perform reliably if done right.
Chinese-made clones are sketchy in quality and often do not run well.
Another thing you should do is replace ALL the fuel and vacuum lines with NEW hose.
The original hoses are NOT compatible with today's ethanol gas, and will deteriorate inside and cause fuel starvation problems.
It's a good idea to use clear hose AND place a fuel filter inline.
Drain and fill the GEARBOX with NEW 10W40 engine oil.
Replace those ancient tires with NEW TIRES and TUBES.
Dry-rot makes those old tires dangerous and are NOT reliable.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
maineguide
Noob
Noob

Post by maineguide »

Hey thanks for your quick reply. I have a question. the gas tank should come off easily but the gauge wires can not
be unscrewed. I seems it would be easier to clean out the tank if it was off the bike. What's the best way?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

If you follow the sending unit wires down, about 1ft from the tank theres bullet connectors that can be pulled apart. I suggest taking the sending unit out instead while you flush the tank. Do this by rotating the golden collar by means of a flathead screwdriver in one of the notches and tapping with a hammer. Once the collar is spun about 1/4 turn, the sending unit can be weaseled out. You’ll need to twist and rotate it to get the float out.

Always takes notes, take pictures or rely on your photographic memory when disassembling to make re-assembly less frustrating.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Also, under the petcock is an in-tank screen filter. You can see it by looking into the tank through the top holes. I have never been able to successfully remove one without destroying it. Only attempt to remove it if you have a new one on-hand. Otherwise, leave it in and just flush it out in both directions. Its just a super fine screen that never wears out.
maineguide
Noob
Noob

Post by maineguide »

I looked at that gold ring and it looked like the thing to do but I have broken more stuff banging on it. glad to get a little information before I get the hammer
out.
maineguide
Noob
Noob

Post by maineguide »

Pulled the tank pretty easily. it's not too bad inside . the weight in the float is a bit corroded and it doesn't move very well but I bet some wd 40 will fix that . Pulling that carb is going to be tricky. My hands are pretty big and some of those screws are not easy to get at. Thanks for your help.
maineguide
Noob
Noob

Post by maineguide »

and yeah I took a bunch of photos. I need a new air filter. I would think the ones on amazon would work.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I suggest you get one here: https://www.amazon.com/Spree-Compatible ... ms&sr=1-15

Its the best thing going and comes with a new (and correct) spark plug.
maineguide
Noob
Noob

Post by maineguide »

Will get right on it. Sometimes the internet is the best thing ever.
maineguide
Noob
Noob

Post by maineguide »

The tank cheanout went well but there is still a little rust inside so I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I used the baking soda and vinegar method which was pretty impressive, . Two questions ....I Does the little saucer shaped object below the tank come off? It's the piece the fuel / air lines attach to. I'm sure it's full of crud and rust. I take its not the piece that had a super fine screen the just has to be cleaned. and 2.... on the float for the gas gauge there is a tiny .tiny washer like object that keeps the float wire inside the plastic piece. I would like to lubricate that float wire . should I carefully pry up that tiny washer enough to get some lube inside of take it off and get the float wire really smooth and lubed? the part of the wire that I can see was pretty rusted and the float does move now but its pretty rough. thanks for all your help..