86 SPREE ....GOOD NEWS ...BAD NEWS

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

maineguide
Noob
Noob

86 SPREE ....GOOD NEWS ...BAD NEWS

Post by maineguide »

Ive been working on my 1986 spree .I got the new filter and hooked the battery up . Checked and had a spark. I mixed up some 32 to 1 gas and put a quart in the tank. Then I squirted a bit of gas mix in the spark plug hole ,screwed in the plug and jumped on the kick start. The motor instantly fired and ran for a few seconds till the gas was used up. I squirted a bit in the fuel line and another tiny shot in the spark plug hole. And nothing ....didn't even fire the gas in the cylinder like it had just done. The vacuum line is connected but the oil line is not. should I plug the oil line hole on the carb? I thinkk I'll try that. Any other suggestions. Also the battery is charged but the starter does not work. Thats a whole different issue. Thanks
motormike

Re: 86 SPREE ....GOOD NEWS ...BAD NEWS

Post by motormike »

YES...that oil inlet is pulling air into the cylinder...a very bad thing...block it off.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Four things for starter to work:
1, key on
2, red button switched to “run”
3, left brake lever pulled and held (can be locked on via parking brake tab) make sure rear brake light illuminates brighter when lever is pulled.
4, press starter button

If that doesnt work then you have issues like: bad starter, seized starter bendix, bad starter relay, dead battery, wiring issues, etc…

You can also look at the two wires that connect to the starter itself. Maybe one has worked itself loose.

I use these caps below. Block off that hole, man.
https://www.autozone.com/fittings-and-h ... lsrc=aw.ds
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Also, if you have jumper cables you can hook it to your car and start your Spree if the battery is weak. Just dont have the car running while you do it. The Spree doesnt like the 14.4v a running car will give. Leave the car off for a 12 volt jolt!

If you have an electric car…I have no idea. Try at your own risk.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
maineguide
Noob
Noob

Post by maineguide »

I plugged the oil hole in the carb. That should help. As long as I don't have a puddle of unburned fuel now waiting for a spark. I may try to pull the muffler and push the fuel out the exhaust. Thanks to all.
maineguide
Noob
Noob

Post by maineguide »

I have decided to change my plan of attack and get the starter working instead of endlessly cranking on the kick start. I ordered a new starter relay ....the old one was pretty corroded and would not even click. the engine did fire that one time but I can't figure why it won't fire again. One thing at a time.