Spree won't do a thing after carb clean

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Spree won't do a thing after carb clean

Post by Sleepysspree »

Hi guys, making this post in a hurry as I'm at work. finally got my 85 spree all back together and it was running for a bit but after it warmed up (5-8 minutes) it died and could not be started again for 10-20 minutes. so I tore apart the carb as I had compression (115psi hot) and spark, cleaned it sprayed down the air jets popped the main jet did not pop the pilot it Sounds like you can but idk how to and I'm not gonna find out myself these carbs complete nowadays go for $200. so I sprayed everything, left the by starter alone (which has been tested in the past extends as it should) and when it was all said and done I put it back together. It didn't start at all now in a panic tore it back apart and double-checked my work, everything seems fine cleaned again and put it back together now I can get it to pop for less than 3 seconds before it dies again. the bowl has fuel yet it seems like it's getting none I'm gonna check my reeds and bystarter again see if there's anything a rye there maybe one more carb clean, but I'm stumped as it was running prior to cleaning, any ideas would help. -sleepy :lol:
1993 Honda CBR 600 F2 (stock)

1985 Honda spree (af16 swap) Keli racing ramp/ variator, zx swap, polini 17.5 cp, stock bore, pickup, gears, and arrow exhaust

1985 cb700 nighthawk (stock)
Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Re: Spree won't do a thing after carb clean

Post by Sleepysspree »

And after getting it to pop for a few seconds it won't do it again for another few minutes

1985 Honda spree (af16 swap) Keli racing ramp/ variator, zx swap, polini 17.5 cp, stock bore, pickup, gears, and arrow exhaust

Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Sleepysspree »

At this point I have got it running float bowl was not filling all the way but now I can barely get it to rev out. I have since boiled the carb in vinegar and ran through every jet air jet and all with a can of carb cleaner to no avail. the needle clip position up & down one it didn’t seem to like it, it will occasionally rev out but other times it just dies on the twist I can also hold the wheel with my hand and receive somewhat of a bog and no power I don't know if it's compression or carb at this point but I know I need some third party assistance looking for any ideas as of now

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Check fuel delivery. Possibly faulty petcock or cracked/leaking vacuum hose to said petcock. Maybe blocked fuel line.

Could be an air leak at one of 20 different places allowing air to suck in when revved but not at idle. Check every connection theres a gasket or rubber o-ring….bystarter, carb top cap, intake connection, fuel bowl, cylinder base gasket, head gasket, crank seals on both sides, spark plug crush washer, etc….
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Sleepysspree »

So basically i bbqed the exhaust had some water in it is what it sounded like as it boiled off and It ran better enough to ride it for a while then it just lost all power wouldn't exceed 5mph and back to square one I've done a leak down test it seems to hold perfectly and everything past the boot has been hondabonded out the crapper it seems to be a completely air tight system I'm gonna double check but I'm gonna have to keep checking I'm so sick of this scooter

Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Sleepysspree »

Leak down in the past I’ve unsealed and resealed things since then but it just doesn’t make sense losing power 15 mins into the drive like all power pretty much just doesn’t seem to be an air leak

Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Sleepysspree »

It revs out fine on the stand but with a load when hot just total s*** doesn’t even try to leave my hands when holding it back

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Frustrating, I can relate. The issue is always something simple but not exactly obvious. Diagnosis is always 90% of the repair so just keep digging for it. Have you gone over everything under the belt cover? Maybe a slipping belt, cooked clutch, glazed bell, c etc…

I had a faulty petcock once that would act up only when it wanted to. It was hard to diagnose since it flowed fuel fine when tested but quit randomly when I was miles from home.
Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Sleepysspree »

It's a new petcock and it couldn't be a clutch situation as it just doesn't rev out really just loss of all power revs fine up on the stand just under load is a no it sputters no matter where the throttle sits sometimes it just doesn't die you twist and it stays at the same consistent bog I'm really at a loss I went through everything I'm gonna rig the leak down tester on for a night and before I go in covering every surface in soap water to see if it's a leak that shows when hot I'm gonna clean the carb one last time but honestly it's starting to feel silly to keep cleaning it the circuit is airtight all in order from airbox to exhaust as far as I know the only thing wrong with the circuit is one of the clips on the air box lid is snapped and the screw is not there and I can't retrieve it as it's discontinued but that couldn't be the issue here's everything I done

- carb cleaned with one full can pretty much followed by boil in 50/50 vinegar
- all new seals and gaskets all around
- new used jug piston and rings
- new used crank (original had lost its splines and threads on drive face by po)
- exhaust bbq 2 1/2 hours
- air filter oiled
- haven't gotten spark plug in a while but relatively new also (somewhat carbon fouled)
- cleaned up pickup and flywheel
- checked all contacts for corrosion but most were untested with vm
- all carb connections Honda bonded

And I think that's almost everything again symptoms are 20 mins in (1.8 miles) today notice lack of power on full throttle seems like it's missing just a little bit in the rpm shut it off at red light and have complete lack of power a few seconds after turning back on bogs but doesn't die barely goes 5 with kicking feet and got it to pick up once on my ride to my destination and eventually dying and not starting back up again (assumed soft seize yet it also seems to be running rich according to plug so unsure) I leave it for an hour cranks really weird trying to start it back up eventually goes but still carrys lack of power feeling head it's no more than 130f so not compression (found to be 105-110 psi) idk hopefully this incoherent babble helps me get an answer gotta get back to work

Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Sleepysspree »

It doesn't have the heat insulator on the bystarter

Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Sleepysspree »

Found a few leaks exhaust gasket and very small leak in the reed box gaskets still leaching out air but so quick just my crude fit on the tester is probably leaking at it's mating surfaces for the tester irrelevant it shouldn't be a problem as It has shown a tight hold excluding those 2 leaks I'm starting to question the fuel problem leaning towards electricals but also the scooter ran beautifully before the crank replacement

Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Sleepysspree »

No leaks on the fuel system all mechanic wired up

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Symptoms dont sound electrical but I wouldnt rule anything out until its running right. Fuel, fire and air…one of those isnt happy. What main jet is in there? I dont remember stock Spree size but I recall it being tiny…like 68 or something. Been a long time since I messed with the Spree motor.
Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Sleepysspree »

Still 68. Dealt with the air leaks (only 2) along with a carb clean and reed swap tested petcock and ran it gives a lot better throttle response for some reason didn't get to feel top end as I'm in the city gotta stop every block practically pulled the plug after the 5 min ride and didn't look carboned up and doesn't look lean temp was 295 right in between the cylinder and head which I believe is normal and most of all carrys a lot more torque ill keep updated but all seems good right now

Sleepysspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Sleepysspree »

Warmed it up and took it out again died right away