Which Moped

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

RC Mechanic91
Noob
Noob

Which Moped

Post by RC Mechanic91 »

I am kinda wanting to start looking around for mopeds, im not ready to buy one just yet (have to sell a few other things in the garge first to make room) but i want to start seeing whats out there. I need something that i could find running for around $200-$350 ish range. Something simple, and not with everything automatic like the auto choke on the honda spree. What should i be looking for? thanx
Please start, please start, pleeeeeease start scooter
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

look at the older hondas like the ones that look like bicycles
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
RC Mechanic91
Noob
Noob

Post by RC Mechanic91 »

im not really sure if i like the ones that look like bicycles though. DOes the honda elite have so much auto stuff? How reliable is it? whats the pros and cons and the speed of them?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

well are you looking for a moped or scooter? an elite is a scooter.
projects galore :nerd:
RC Mechanic91
Noob
Noob

Post by RC Mechanic91 »

Whats the difference between a moped and a scooter. ( i relaly fell like a newb now. XD )
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

RC Mechanic91 wrote:Whats the difference between a moped and a scooter. ( i relaly fell like a newb now. XD )
technically, a moped generally has larger rims and is more closely shaped like a pedal bike. a scooter has a distinct step through design and generally smaller rims.
RC Mechanic91
Noob
Noob

Post by RC Mechanic91 »

Well is that case im lookin for more of a scooter then, I don't care for the look of the moped Bike style ones. How is the elite then? I want something that is reliable, cheap, simple (as poosible), and a known brand. I don't want to get any of that chinese stuff. How is the elite though?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

well i got a 92 elite 50 ,with just over 8200 miles, its ran great all 8000 of those mines, im having trouble with it now, but when it runs it runs great.
there reliable , there honda, speed kinda pends on the year-model-stuff like that. mine gets great millage when im cruising but just around town stuff, stunting(per say) burn outs and stuff like that the millage is down to like 30-40 miles per gallon, still better then most cars

spree's are good, but you have to be a moped fan to really like it. if you just want a moped to ride elites are a good way to go

if you can find one, i got lucky and got a 92 for 300$ off a friend. it had a dirt bike muffler on it
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
RC Mechanic91
Noob
Noob

Post by RC Mechanic91 »

Kool, sounds great. But what are the major differences between the 2 bikes?
slowaero
Goped
Goped

Post by slowaero »

Your budget says Spree to me as an Elite 2 stroke or 4 stroke will be
$600-800 for older ones until gas goes below $3 or winter comes and you live where there is a real winter.

I have an Aero 50 which is a pre-Elite 50 2 stroke. Sometimes you'll see an Aero priced like a Spree. Aeros 50 are easy to get parts for as Honda sold alot of scooters in the 80s here and in the UK.

Older Euro scooters will get you your real choke and less auto stuff but blow past your budget. I don't see the autobystarter go bad often enough to make that a reason not to look at Japanese scooters. You can always fit a choke and new carb but that would blow your whole budget.

You'll also see a few older Yamahas. They will be harder to get parts for than a Honda.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Previous question --- Kool, sounds great. But what are the major differences between the 2 bikes?
----
I think that was in reference to Spree vs Elite
I'm the newbie to Spree/Elites, but have been checking into them - mostly from here!

Spree has a fixed transmission, most Elites have a variator.
Elite SB50 model is an execption, also said to have a fixed transmission.
Elite 50 1994 and up have more tuning potential than earlier Elite's

Bone stock, the Elite is a faster and more power. Look at some of the performance work that the members here come up with. Some use Elite parts, like intake pipe/reeds on the Spree.
RC Mechanic91
Noob
Noob

Post by RC Mechanic91 »

Ok so basically be looking for a good spree, but i might find a elite if im lucky. My dad said a junkyard here had 2 scooters. Next time we go up there ill check them out and see what they need. THey are probably a junk heap but they are worth a look. Gotta get this spree parted out first. I was thinking about gettting it running, but it needed too much work. TIme that i don't have.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

what is your budget for a scooter, and what are you goals for it? (speed, mileage, etc..)
RC Mechanic91
Noob
Noob

Post by RC Mechanic91 »

Around $300 is my budget. Maybe a little more a little less. My speed I would like to be around 35mph if not faster. Gas milage well, I mean as long as it gets at least 50 mph or something thats fine. Not i huge issue but the better the gas milage the happier I am.
KZ250andSpree
BMX
BMX

Post by KZ250andSpree »

Sounds like a spree ;) :P
1980 KZ250LTD (need to get it running ><)
1986 Spree