Where to find gaskets for my Gyro?!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Where to find gaskets for my Gyro?!

Post by chevyguyjay »

well, i was at rosenau powersports to order my gaskets and crank seals. i called them to c if my parts came in and they said they discontinued them. i figured id post this topic and see if anyone out there knows a place where i might still find these parts? i want to overhaul the engine completly. gaskets im really not That conserned about, cause i can make them. the crank seals is what i really need to find. in case of some of u might not know, this is my 1984 Honda Gyro.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I'm adding dimensions for the seals in case anyone knows of alternate sources:

Flywheel side: 15mm id/25.5mm od/7mm thick.
Transmission side: 25mm/42 mm/6mm
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

you can buy paper just for making paper gaskets. for the head gasket you can make one from copper flashing
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

yea, thats what i plan on doin is making my own gaskets. the head gasket is the same as a spree. the crank seals are the problem. they are two different sizes. there has to be a place somewhere out there that has rebuild kits. question is...............................where?? :?
Rooney140
BMX
BMX

Post by Rooney140 »

chevyguyjay,
Arent you from Michigan? downriver area?
Try a company called Bearing Services, look them up in the phonebook, there is one on Allen Road in Brownstown and a couple others, I think one on Schoolcraft in Livonia. If I was wrong about you being from around here, just try any local bearing supplier where you live. I have always used them when rebuilding bike engines for bearings and seals, usualy way cheaper than OEM for the same Timken brand stuff. You have the dimensions, that is the hard part.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

well, thanks for the info! :D now, i havta ask.....do i know u?? :? ill give them a shout tomorrow. :wink:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Chevyguyjay - I was looking into the seals. Found some online catalogs with offerings in the correct size. There's different seal materials - Buna-N, Viton, Silicone..... and I don't know what's needed. Would you mind asking the bearing folks what material is used in the seals they recommend? Thanks!

BTW - For Aero owners reading this tread, the small seal 15 X 25.5 X 7 on the flywheel is also used on the early (1983 to ??) NB50 Aero - on the flywheel side!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Rooney140 wrote:chevyguyjay,
Arent you from Michigan? downriver area?
Try a company called Bearing Services, look them up in the phonebook, there is one on Allen Road in Brownstown and a couple others, I think one on Schoolcraft in Livonia. If I was wrong about you being from around here, just try any local bearing supplier where you live. I have always used them when rebuilding bike engines for bearings and seals, usualy way cheaper than OEM for the same Timken brand stuff. You have the dimensions, that is the hard part.
That's good info for us locals...
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Rooney140
BMX
BMX

Post by Rooney140 »

chevyguyjay, i dont think you know me, ive just been a lurker here for a while. I thought i remembered seeing a post or maybe your sig says you were from southgate? Im from riverview, it seems like a large # of the members here are from MI.

Any luck with the seals? my other suggestion would be to search for K & S, they supply alot of kits and individual seals.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

yea, i was able to order some seals and bearings from this bearing store on allen road in brownstown. it cost $50 for 3 seals and the two crank bearings. they had to order them from some place in VA. i was able to make all my gaskets from a roll of fel-pro gasket paper. :D now all i have to do is wait. will keep u up to date with the progress. :wink:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hi,
Nice 100% rebuild parts finding for your Gyro. Thanks, and looking forwards to your first class rebuild. Gyro parts are not always easily found, and your pursuit of a quality rebuild is a path opener for the rest.

thanks!
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

the engine wasnt really that hard to rebuild. im going to post some pics up here soon to let everyone know how its lookin. its about 80% finished. still have to run the fuel system. im lookin for a shut off valve for the gas tank, run the fuel line, hook up the throttle/ oiler line with brackets, and get new rear tires. wait and see what happens. :roll:
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

its gettin there. throttle cable done. all i have left if to get a peacock, and run the fuel line. dont mind the rear spree wheels.....im waiting on the new tires for my 8" gyro wheels. :wink:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hey, nice progress, seems like the paint must be still wet :wink:
Didn't know Spree wheels fit the Gyro!