Scoot Across the US

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

skaltpunk
Goped
Goped

Scoot Across the US

Post by skaltpunk »

i'd like to brainstorm about this as i still plan to do it this fall or spring...

what would you bring on such a trip? what will be the biggest problem with the honda spree nq50?

how would you go about setting up a path that avoids busy roads and highways? how many miles per day?
kurremkarm
Spree
Spree

Post by kurremkarm »

Well only driving during the day is obvious. Gas is a problem as well as oil. Tire pump, patches. I would also assume you would want to take breaks and let the engine cool off and your butt to rest up between tanks. Sunblock would be pretty important. Then credit card camping would be the best-- motels and diners.

Cell phone would be a good idea and maybe AAA service for any tows you might, and probably would, need. A good digital camera for bragging rights.

I think you might want to ride on the shoulder a lot, dunno, might check with the moped army folks to find out what they advise.

If it was me I would go basic and try to have at least a couple grand in credit or debit for wherever you go.
2fast4u
BMX
BMX

Post by 2fast4u »

Biggest problem on such a trip would probably be finding parts and good repair if ya break down somewhere. Not a trip I would risk unless ya can afford to be stranded somewhere indefinately. Pretty cool idea though... once while camping on the bay in Mass. I met a couple who were jetskiing up the coast and camping along the way... totally extreme, cool couple.
Cold grinding grizzly bear jaws, hot on your heels...
zonker1984
BMX
BMX

Post by zonker1984 »

I'd do it in Spring, less chance of an early snow.
rickc
BMX
BMX

Re: Scoot Across the US

Post by rickc »

skaltpunk wrote:what would you bring on such a trip?
I'd probably bring: spare tire, innertube, tube patch kit, drive belt, complete spare carb, air filter (pre-oiled in a ziplock baggie), spark plug, disposable inline fuel filters (lots of crappy gas out there), quart of 2-cycle oil, can of carb cleaner, can of seafoam, small toolkit, knife, copy of the Spree shop manual, spare signal & taillight bulbs, duct tape, bungee cords, cotton rags, small piece of sandpaper, 1.5 or 2.0 gallon gas can, front luggage rack, maps/road atlas, camera, cash, credit card, clothing, towel & toiletries, plastic bags, sunscreen, driver's license, helmet, registration/insurance paperwork, bike lock, tarp/cover, cell phone & charger, prepaid phone card, water bottle(s), high energy snack food, and a massive suitcase attached to the rear luggage rack. And if you're really determined, a spare piston, rings, head gasket, clutch pads, and brake pads. :)
what will be the biggest problem with the honda spree nq50?
I'd guess just general wear and tear on the whole Spree. Something's bound to give out on a trip that long, but hopefully it will be stuff that's easy to fix if you bring the right parts along. I'd sooner trust a 20 year old Spree than a brand new Chinese scooter on a cross-country road trip.

Go for it dude!
'86 Spree x 3
skaltpunk
Goped
Goped

Post by skaltpunk »

thanks for the ideas! i think im gonna go really rustic and sleep in a tent on national forest and BLM land the whole way. for gas i think i'll carry a two gallon tank with me for long stretches. what's the longest you'd dare to run the engine without letting it cool for a half hour? what's the danger in running it for a long time?

yeah, i've been thinking a lot about the shoulder versus road debate. its different for sprees, for sure, because of the small tires. i think i'd rather ride the shoulder and keep a keen eye for potholes on busy roads - but in nebraska and the like, i'll ride on the road and keep an eye in the mirror for jackball cars and trucks who don't see me.

spring sounds like a good time, and more time to plan such a trip.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

well me and a few of my friends are plaining on riding 100 miles or so from southwest mi to Indiana beach.
note it is a LOT smaller of a trip but we are going to try this either this weekend or the weekend after next. this is kinda like a 'are the mopeds up to it? ' deal .then do a trip like that next year.
we are leaving on Friday at 3pm. we are going to get there about 8-9pm and camping in there campgrounds. spending all saterday at the amusement part then mopeding back sunday morning.
we got all the directions off map quest you just click avoid all major roads, toll roads, highways.
we are bringing sleeping begs, tents. my friends mopeds are 07 hondas so there not worried about breaking down, me on the other hand with a 92 elite is bringing more tools. a full socket set (metric and stander) tire patches, a small air pump. a few containers of 2-stroke oil. zip ties and duck tape ( i know it might sound red-neck but zip ties and duck tape can really help im almost any case)
and basics. cell phone, money , id,camera, snacks , something to drink. just every day things. to keep the moped cooled we plain on stopping every hour or so for about 5-15 minutes. i am going to mix a very small amount of oil with my gas to help fight friction. i rigged up a ram air cooling system to help it cool also.
dont get me wrong, all that other stuff isnt a bad idea but there is a limit to how much you can fit on a spree
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
islandbayy
Elite
Elite

Post by islandbayy »

your "Ram Air" mod is similiar to mine, however, problem I had with mine, was I went overboard, and Over-cooled my Elite, to the point it started missing.
Owner of K-Man Auto, Scooters, & Electric Cars
Home of Wisconsin's First Street Legal DOT Licensed Electric Cars!
http://KmanScooters.com
http://MilwaukeeEV.com
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

islandbayy wrote:your "Ram Air" mod is similiar to mine, however, problem I had with mine, was I went overboard, and Over-cooled my Elite, to the point it started missing.
Wait, WHAT? thats possible?
1991--------Tomos Targa-
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote:
islandbayy wrote:your "Ram Air" mod is similiar to mine, however, problem I had with mine, was I went overboard, and Over-cooled my Elite, to the point it started missing.
Wait, WHAT? thats possible?
If its aircooled you can't "overcool" it.. unless you're running really rich and using a very cold range plug

:!:
projects galore :nerd:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

thats what i was thinking, thanks for clearing things up
1991--------Tomos Targa-
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

an over cooled 2 stroke :o please stay off drugs :wink: is the new false hemi made in mexico :cry:
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Long trips.

Post by jeremydde »

Dac wrote:well me and a few of my friends are plaining on riding 100 miles or so from southwest mi to Indiana beach.
I ride this kind of mileage every weekend on my Dio. It's not that bad. Just put one step colder of a spark plug in. I found that after riding at WOT for over an hour that the plug starts to foul until I put in one step colder. Ever since I changed the plug I haven't had a problem.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
28mm Oko Carb 45 Pilot & 132 Main
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Kuka Clutch w/Polini green springs
Koso Digital Tachometer w/CHT
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i know i ride 100 miles in a weekend also but to do it all at once is a new thing for me.
this is now put on hold. marks moped just messed up on him. it runs fine but if he gives it full gas it bogs and dies
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

What kind of highways would you be taking? US & state? State only? I'm wondering how legal it would be from state to state to ride a 50cc scooter along a highway. You would have to end up using a highway to cross a river. Not all states even require a title, registration and insurance. Arkansas is one (where I live).

The Arkansas law states:
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motorized bicycle upon interstate highways, limited access highways, or sidewalks.

(c) (1) (A) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motorized bicycle upon a public street or highway within this state unless the person has a certificate to operate such a vehicle.
I guess a "limited access highway" is any road that is constructed like an interstate with exits instead of cross streets.

So I guess according to that law, it would be legal to ride a 50cc scooter/moped along a highway in Arkanas so long as you have a permit to do so.

What do you do when along a highway they say "no driving on shoulder"? You would be forced to drive in the lane of traffic unless you want to break the law and ignore the signs and drive on the shoulder anyway.